Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Laptop

My laptop is charged but not starting

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Dishika,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP laptop is fully charged but not starting and only showing a black screen when you attempt to start it, there could be several potential causes for this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Check for External Connections: Ensure that there are no external devices connected to the laptop, such as USB drives, external monitors, or peripherals. Sometimes, faulty external devices can cause the laptop to fail to boot properly.
  • Perform a Hard Reset: Shut down the laptop completely, disconnect the power adapter, and remove the battery (if it's removable). Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds to drain any residual power. Then reinsert the battery (if applicable), plug in the power adapter, and try to start the laptop again.
  • Check the Display: Although you mentioned a black screen, it's worth checking whether the display is functioning correctly. Shine a flashlight onto the screen and look closely for any faint images or text. If you can see faint images, it's possible that the backlight or inverter has failed, and you may need to have the display serviced or replaced.
  • Connect to an External Monitor: If you have access to an external monitor, try connecting your laptop to it using a VGA, HDMI, or DisplayPort cable. This will help determine if the issue is with the laptop's display or with the internal components.
  • Boot into Safe Mode: Sometimes, a software issue or driver conflict can prevent the laptop from booting properly. Try booting into Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key or another key specified by your laptop's HP during startup. From there, you can troubleshoot software-related issues.
  • Check for Hardware Issues: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, there may be a hardware problem with your laptop. This could include a faulty motherboard, RAM, CPU, or other internal components. 
  • Perform a BIOS Reset: In some cases, resetting the BIOS settings to default can resolve startup issues. Refer to your laptop's user manual or the HP support website for instructions on how to reset the BIOS.
  • Update or Roll Back Drivers: If you recently updated any drivers or installed new software, it's possible that they are causing compatibility issues. Try updating or rolling back drivers to see if that resolves the problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.