Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I recently installed a evm m.2 nvme ssd(512 gb) to my HP 245 g7 notebook with an existing 1tb hdd. 

I cloned all data from the hdd to the m.2 ssd as I wanted the boot time to be fast and efficient. But the m.2 ssd simply wont show up on the boot priority list, it only shows up on the legacy boot menu but still it wont save properly and boost from the old notebook hard drive.  

[Note: the m.2 ssd and Hdd are both included in the system. The hdd for storage and m.2 ssd for the windows OS]

My pc specs:

Hp 245 g7 notebook 

Ryzen 3 2200u processor

AMD vega 3 graphics 

16gb ddr4 ram 

1tb Hdd 

It has a nvme m.2 ssd slot existing in the motherboard and I'm pretty sure nothing went wrong in the cloning process. Please provide me with a solution to boot from the m.2 ssd.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Breck124 

NVMe SSD's are supported in the notebooks with the Ryzen processors as there are YouTube videos that show this.

HP 245 G7 / 250GB #nvme_ssd m.2 / #ddr4 #8gbram UPGRADE BOOT IN 8 SECONDS 😱 #KICKSTARTBIKER - YouTu...

How To Upgrade SSD & Ram HP 245 G7 Notebook PC (youtube.com)

See if this works...

Temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the Windows boot manager should automatically switch to the NVMe SSD.

Run the notebook for a bit on the SSD.  Shut down, restart, put it through its paces.

Then connect the 2.5" drive back up.

If the Windows boot manager switches back to the 2.5" drive you will have to clean the disk using the Diskpart utility and only use the drive for storage.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Breck124,

Your user's manual indicates that your laptop supports M.2 SATA SSD only (not NVMe): Chapter 3, page 19 of the manual lists only 2.5" HDDs and M.2 SATA SSDs as supported drives. Ch 5, p. 35 states that only M.2 SATA SSDs are supported.

.Maintenance and Service Guide HP 245 G7 Notebook PC

Boot the laptop from the hard drive and go to Disk Management, and if you don't see the M.2 NVMe disk there, you know Windows doesn't recognize the NVMe.

Hopefully, you can return the NVMe for an M.2 SATA3 SSD which still is a lot faster than an HDD.

HP Recommended

@Breck124 

NVMe SSD's are supported in the notebooks with the Ryzen processors as there are YouTube videos that show this.

HP 245 G7 / 250GB #nvme_ssd m.2 / #ddr4 #8gbram UPGRADE BOOT IN 8 SECONDS 😱 #KICKSTARTBIKER - YouTu...

How To Upgrade SSD & Ram HP 245 G7 Notebook PC (youtube.com)

See if this works...

Temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the Windows boot manager should automatically switch to the NVMe SSD.

Run the notebook for a bit on the SSD.  Shut down, restart, put it through its paces.

Then connect the 2.5" drive back up.

If the Windows boot manager switches back to the 2.5" drive you will have to clean the disk using the Diskpart utility and only use the drive for storage.

HP Recommended

Hey!! Thank you so much man it worked, now my pc boots from the ssd and it's way faster!! 

I highly appreciate it 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.