Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (115 Views)

Pavillion DV 6080ei wont boot

Product Name: Pavillion DV 6080ei
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Laptop charger light comes on when connecting the charger.

Laptop power light comes on when starting the laptop. The Wifii and mouse lights comes on for about 5 seconds then dies.

Power light stays on until battery or charger removed.

Fan does not start up

Hard drive does not start up

Screen is blank.

Have already checked for loose connections and found none.

Have tested wihout the memory, hard drive and cdrom

Help or suggestions appreciated

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (80 Views)

Re: Pavillion DV 6080ei wont boot

@alan1970

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Smiley Happy I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion dv6-6080ei Entertainment laptop and the laptop powers on for about 5 seconds and then turns off. The power light stays on until the battery or the charger is disconnected. You have checked for loose connections and there seem to be none and have tried to power on without the memory hard drive and DVD drive and the issue still persists. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did any changes take place on the laptop like a hardware part replacement or a BIOS update?
  • When you tried to power it up without the memory, did you hear any beep sounds from the laptop?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

If the issue persists then please perform a BIOS crisis recovery. Detailed steps are in this link: http://hp.care/2bXONjA

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know the outcome. All the best! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (70 Views)

Hi Kazi,

Thank you for the reply and kudo.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did any changes take place on the laptop like a hardware part replacement or a BIOS update? No hardware part replacement or BIOS update.
  • When you tried to power it up without the memory, did you hear any beep sounds from the laptop? No beep from the laptop at all with memory or hard drive missing.

I have tried the recommendations as suggested and still have the same problem. The BIOS recovery did not come on.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (60 Views)

[ Edited ]

@alan1970

You're most welcome and thanks for replying with the detailed information. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot the issue. 

The results indicate towards a hardware failure with the laptop (mostly motherboard). I suggest you to reach out to HP phone support to explore the hardware service options. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (53 Views)

[ Edited ]

I suspected either the motherboard or the CPU to have failed.

Not sure which one and do not wish to spend the cash on the wrong one. 

I did find that the heat transfer paste was very hard and dry on the CPU and on the graphcs adaptor when i stripped the laptop.

The last action performed on the laptop was charging a cellphone without logging into windows. That should have very little processing power as far as my logic goes. Other than that I had boot up times of 32sec or less on this old machine Heart

I will send the machine to a local supplier to have a look at it. thank you for your time

thanx

alan

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (41 Views)

@alan1970

You're most welcome Alan. Smiley Happy

I'm glad to know that you have decided to choose an option the suits your needs. Please keep in touch for any further help. Take care and all the best! 

MKazi
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation