Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 2760p
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all! Pretty odd problem and I haven't found another quite like it. 

I let my computer die and didn't charge it for a few days, and when I tried to charge it, it wouldn't hold power. It turns on fine with the AC Adapter, and will run without the battery in. When I plug the adapter in, I get a strange white light that quickly turns to a pink color-- perhaps the white and amber together-- and then quickly diappears in the battery light.  One thing I tried doing is updating the bios, but it won't let me update because it doesn't recognize an external power supply.

I have tried several hard resets, as well as uninstalling the batteries and ac adapter on device manager. I have also tested the battery on the menu that comes up when you press F2 on start-up, but it says my battery is fine.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated!

-Tyler

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi Tyler,

How old is this battery?

I could only suspect that the battery must have entered into deep discharge state. That means battery is dead.

It usually happens when you discharge the battery completely and keep it unused for certain amount of time... May be days, months depend on what is the age of battery.

What were the results of the battery test - cell voltages, cycle count? Battery tests was performed from BIOS or HP support assistant?

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Hi Tyler,

How old is this battery?

I could only suspect that the battery must have entered into deep discharge state. That means battery is dead.

It usually happens when you discharge the battery completely and keep it unused for certain amount of time... May be days, months depend on what is the age of battery.

What were the results of the battery test - cell voltages, cycle count? Battery tests was performed from BIOS or HP support assistant?

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply! 

The battery is 1808 days old, the so pretty old, the cycle count is 1422, the voltages are 1: 0mV 2:2845mV  3:2729mV and 4: 2774 mV. It also says that there is no AC power, althought that is what it is running on.  I believe it was BIOS but again, not 100% sure.

I don't know what any of this means, as I am pretty amatuer at this. Thanks for your help.

-Tyler

HP Recommended

That is indicative of dead battery.

Cell voltage 1 itself is enough to diagnose.

Again cycle count is way way past the 3x life of average battery life span.

HP Recommended

Manual: Page 43
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03567855

Specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-2760p-tablet-pc/5071191/document/c02861730/

You need:
6-cell, 44 Whr, 2.0 Ah, Li-ion battery : 454668-001
6-cell, 39 Whr, 2.0 Ah, Li-ion battery : 593592-001�

Search the part number through online sellers in your region.

HP Recommended

Thanks! I ordered a new battery yesterday. Interestingly, though, I plugged it in today and it worked without a problem!

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Well pretty odd problem it is.

New one is not going to hurt. The old one has gone way past its life I should say.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.