Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

My hard drive failed and I've taken it out to prevent further damage to the data. I want to keep using my computer with a Linux live USB while I wait for a new drive. When I turn on the laptop, I can press escape to bring up the startup menu and F9 is listed as boot device options and F10 is listed as BIOS. If I choose any option, no matter which one, the computer opens System Diagnostics. If i press F9 or F10 during boot, I see the text pop up acknowledging the action, but still get System Diagnostics.

I bought this computer new from Amazon, it has never been configured by any kind of IT department, it is simply locking me out of the BIOS and boot order for unknown reasons. I do not have anything the computer came with, so I'd need a link to an ISO if your suggestion involves a disk. Ideally, there is some inane secret combination of button pushing and holding that will either allow me to change the boot order or boot directly from USB.

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I'm having this SAME issue.. I put in a new hard drive because mine crashed, and it's doing the same **bleep** thing.. Have you figured it out since your post? *Please!* Let me know if you have... This is incredibly frustrating. I guess if nothing else I'm glad I'm not the only one it's happening to.....

HP Recommended

@MisterV87 

Connect the power adapter to the notebook.

Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time. You will have to be patient and hold those keys for sometimes a minute for the BIOS to initiate a recovery. The BIOS should replace the current BIOS with the previous BIOS. This only works if you updated the BIOS or allowed the HP Support Assistant to do that for you with the Tune-up application.

Let me know how this method works out for you. If you never updated the BIOS in the past, there is still another method to try before contacting HP for warranty service. 

The same method is described by HP in this document with images.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,  I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue, only I'm just installing a larger HD  (going from original 320GB to a 1TB because I was about out of room).  Can't get past System Dagnostics.  Shows system info.  Goes through memory check, but then says the start up, run in and hard disc tests all fail.  Do I need to put the other drive in to verify it will boot from the DVD drive?  Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks.  I appreciate any help you can offer.  Keep in mind I need step by step instructions.  :-0

HP Recommended

I had this problem with my Probook 4730s with the addition of getting a message "Manufacturing Program Mode Set : 1 of 10" and "Product Information not valid" error (SYSTEM BOARD (00A) - Product Name, Product Serial Number, Product SKU, System Board CT Number) and couldn't boot the os from my hdd because of "BootDevice not found".

This thread had the necessary information to resolve the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.