Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me diagnose this problem with my 8560W:

It randomly hard locks up - ie the mouse/keyboard input stop and music playback freezes - about 10 seconds later the machine turns right off.  

I haven't noticed any pattern to when it does it - sometimes it'll go for a week with no problems, other times it'll freeze before the windows sign-in screen.

I've tried a fresh windows install (but have also seen the lockups in safe mode) so I don't think it's a bad driver issue.

There is nothing meaningful in event viewer

I suspected it might be an SSD failing - so tried another and had the same issues.

I've seen the lockups on battery, and with both the power adapters I have - also on AC with the battery removed.

I've run the built-in efi extensive diagnosis a few times - all passing completely.

I have cleaned out the heatsinks with compressed air - though they didn't look too bad.  Keeping an eye on CPU temperatures - it does lock up some times when the temperatures are relatively low.

Something I've noticed (and I don't know if it's a red herring or not) is that the system fan tends to not spin as much as it used to - ie I don't notice hearing it.  I've tried to roll back my BIOS - but haven't been able to - in Windows it tells me I can't go back, and in 'bios' it tells me it can't find the signature.

Any help at this point would be appreciated.  I'd hate to have to throw the system out - it is still a very capable machine.  Is there anything I can do to work out what is causing the freezes?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.