Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-u111dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To give a little pretext to my situation: I purchased this laptop the summer before my freshmen year around august of 2015. It has now been a year and a month (september the 24th 2016).  The device came with windows 8.1 installed and some HP software (BLOATWARE) pre installed. I updated to windows 10 the day I was given the opportuninty.

Now to begin with the most frustrating week of my life. Mid september, my HP support assistant software recommended a few updates to my drivers. Always being hesistant of driver updates I rarely update them, but recently I had some troubles connecting to my Jam2 bluetooth speakers. So, I downloaded and installed the bluetooth drivers through the HP support assistant application. Keep in mind that HP support assistant is a service provided by the manufactuer of my laptop and it knows my exact hardware and is able to provide the correct updates, or so I assumed. After the install, the assistant prompted me to restart my laptop, so I did. This is where everything went awry.

My laptop shut down, then went into its boot sequence. The laptop failed to boot and instead went to recovery. Feeling that the driver had messed something up, I decided that it was worth my while to restore to a previous restore point that I had created just a few days before. The restore came up with an error. Dismayed and rather annoyed, I decided to cut my losses and do a refresh. No luck there either. Time for a clean install I thought; well that didnt work either. Time and time again I ran into something like, "System Restore has run into an error." or something of the like. At this point I am livid and confused. I know my warranty had run out just a few weeks before this and I am either going to have to buy a new laptop or do some serious work to get this working again; and with 3 exams coming up in my college classes, I have to get it done fast to study. 

I began by plugging in my Windows 10 recovery usb into my laptop and booting. The windows 10 install came up just as expected but when I tried to click install, an error came up saying something along the lines of, "Windows is already in the process of installing, please remove installation media and restart the computer." So I did that and ran into the problem of windows saying that no drive was found and the install had run into a problem. I decided my hard drive must have failed so I moved on to getting to my HD.

I took of the keyboard pannel in order to gain access to my hard drive. I unlocked the ribbon cable from the motherboard and unscrewed the drive from the frame. Upon removing the drive I notice the smell of burnt rubber or plastic. The ribbon cable had been fried. To see if the contents of my harddrive was ok I put it in an external hardrive case and plugged it into another laptop. The drive was corrupt and all my data was lost. Luckily (relative to my situation), the drive was still in working order, all I needed to do was format it. 

My biggest question is what could have possibly caused my ribbon cable to have so much current running through it that a few of the wires just popped? I wasnt having any problem with my fan not working, in fact, my fan always kept my laptop well below dangerous levels. In retrospect, this was probably the only exceptional thing about my device. What were the chances that a bluetooth driver and a combusting ribbon cable happened withing the same few minutes? Keep in mind that this was all withing a few weeks of my warranty having expired. Something seemed fishy to me.

I was able to find the part on the HP replacement parts store for over 50 bucks not inclunding shipping. A rediculous price for a sata connector cable. I found it at much more affordable price on ebay and was able to get it before the end of the week. Now here is where the fun begins; not having a windows pc to format my drive to NTSF, I had to walk a mile to a public computer to format my drive.After the walk back, I inserted the drive into the laptop and booted to the recovery usb. I ran through the process and ended up with a clean install about 3 hours later. Everything was back to normal. I am now typing these words on my dreaded machine. 

So to summarize with a few questions:

Is there anything I can do to receive my money back on the part I purchased?

Is there anything that HP can do to explain my horrible malfunction and the stress it put me under? I mean my laptop literally could have burned down my apartment.

What if this happens again?

In Conclusion, I regret a few things. First, I regret every purchasing this HP laptop. I am dismayed that my THOUSAND DOLLAR purchase has lead to so many troubles. Secondly, I regret ever putting my trust into a HP branded software, especially HP support assistant. And Lastly, I regret ever putting any of my resources (time, money, hardwork, ect.) into any product made by HP in anyway whatsoever. 

Thanks for anyone who can give me any help on my situation, I do not wish to this current laptop but I am unfortunately stuck with it. So any information is helpful. Thanks for Reading.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.