Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

SCAM ALERT!!!

I received a phone call today from a so-called Hp representative (smartfriend hp). The person's phone number was (780) 365-2164, 780-365-2164 and called himself Michael Cole from San Jose, California. 

The fact that this person knew my hp serial number and that I had sent it for repair almost led me to believe he was for real. He said asked me to type msconfig in the run start menu and open System Configuration and said that the Application Gateway Layer Service from Microsoft needs to be removed and that hp would refund 240$ that they had charged for installing this service. I knew this was complete utter nonsense and it was also strange that the area code was 780 which is from Alberta in Canada.

He then asked me to install teamviewer which is a remote access software, at that point, I was convinced this is a SCAM. 

This information has been relayed to Hp customer service. Please note, if you receive a phone call from the following number, which asks you to install a remote access software, it is a SCAM:

The phone numbers below have been written in different ways so people could google this number easily.

(780) 365-2164

780-365-2164

780 365 2164

780 365 2164

780-365 2164

SCAM ALERT!!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@qwerty6621

Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Wow thankyou so much frind this really nice

HP Recommended

> that the area code was 780 which is from Alberta in Canada.

Yes, you can do a google search on this number and find a name and address there.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.