Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
none

This issue has been troubling me for the past couple days, as I haven't been able to solve it. My HP ENVY Laptop - 13-ba0553na will not boot from any windows USB. Interestingly, when I put Linux on my USB, it will boot fine and can install, but when I put Windows on the USB, I run into many errors even with different methods. First of all, I tried using the official Microsoft tool to create the USB, but when I click F9 on bootup, and select the USB, it says 'The Selected Boot Device Failed'. Next I used Rufus to make the USB bootable, but upon bootup, it says 'Windows bootmgr encountered a security validation or internal error'. Lastly, I tried Ventoy, and put on the ISO, but that just took me to the 'Press Any Key To Boot From CD or DVD', when I clicked enter, it took me back to the prompt to boot from a CD or DVD. I even tried resetting the TPM, turning off Secure Boot, loading the HP Default keys, but nothing has worked so far, and I hope that a fix to this problem can be found. Thank You!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ThenStart,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've done a thorough job troubleshooting so far. Since your laptop is able to boot from a Linux USB but not a Windows one, it suggests that the issue might be related to the Windows USB itself or how it's being created.

Here are a few additional steps you can try.

• Check the Windows ISO: Make sure that the Windows ISO you're using is not corrupted. Try downloading it again from the official Microsoft website or a trusted source, and then create the bootable USB with it.
  • Different USB Drive: Try using a different USB drive. Sometimes, certain USB drives can cause compatibility issues. Opt for a USB drive from a reputable brand with good compatibility.
  • USB Port: Try using different USB ports on your laptop. Sometimes, certain ports might have issues with booting from USB drives.
  • BIOS/UEFI Settings: Double-check your BIOS/UEFI settings to ensure that they are correctly configured for booting from USB. You've mentioned disabling Secure Boot, but ensure that the boot order is set to prioritize USB booting.
  • USB Format: When creating the bootable USB using Rufus, try different partition schemes (e.g., MBR for BIOS or UEFI, or GPT for UEFI). Experimenting with different options might help.
  • Create USB on Another Computer: If possible, try creating the bootable USB on another computer to rule out any issues with the creation process on your current system.
  • Check USB Compatibility: Ensure that your laptop's hardware is compatible with the version of Windows you're trying to install. Sometimes, newer hardware might not have proper drivers for older versions of Windows.

By systematically going through these steps, hopefully, you'll be able to resolve the issue and successfully boot from the Windows USB.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.