Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This laptop has been amazing.  No problems till recently when I noticed my wacom tablet was no longer detected.  In control panel I went to check the driver and it said there was no driver.  Went to Device Manager to look deeper and it showed unknown device.   Then it froze.  It kept freezing after restart at login or after login.  The amount of seconds or minutes before freeze varied each time.

I decided to format and reinstall Windows 7 64 Pro.  Dealt with the usual Windows Update not working problems and finally got things working with WSUSOffline.  When almost all updates and basic drivers were installed it started locking up again.  I've tried many solutions.  Memory & harddisc tests were fine.  It runs fine Safe mode so far.  Im currently trying disable services to see which may be causing it.  But I keep thinking I figured it out but then it will freeze again after a short time. 

Let me add Ive been scouring the threads here and googling the crap out of this.

Checking Reliability History I have a couple things under "Warnings":

Source: Windows
Summary: Unsuccessful driver installation
Action: Driver Management concluded the process to install driver NULL Driver for Device Instance ID PCI/VEN_10EC&DEV_5249&SUBSYS_2255103C&REV_01\00000001004CE00000 with the following status: 0xe0000203

Source: Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Reader
Summary: Unsuccessful application installation

Action: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: WBF Finderprint Reader. Product Version: 4.5.307.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Synaptics. Installation success or error status: 1603

(doesn't seem to cover anything about the lockups though nor does it keep track of when or why they accured looking at the times (not listed)  It does see a couple spots Windows was not shutdown properly but only a couple. as in, 1 out of 10)

It really does seem to run fine if I disable all non-microsoft services.  Maybe it was because of a more recent driver update and after installing windows Im getting all the latest again including the life ruinding drivers that render the entire laptop broken. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.