Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone

A update to my bios rendered my brand new laptop unusable so my bios data now is corrupted.

I had previous worked bios version 1.14 then i installed the latest bios update v1.15a using bios update option through ethernet cable

Then my laptop now blinks caps lock 8 time then i hit esc+arrowup+arrowdown then it blinks 2 times which means it cannot get a recovery bios image.

I also tried hard reset or usb + win+b but it's not working.

I also have to mention that i deleted HP_TOOLS partiotion before this happen.

I tried to make the recovery usb but it's not loading it i see no led bilnk on usb stick so no usb activity. I also see a short blink of a hdd drive led when i push the power button before i see the two blinks. I don't know if this is kid of a sign for init of the  HP Sure Start Embedded Controller (EC) or it really tries to read the ssd

I read all about surestart technology which resides inside EC flash chip.

However since my EC chip is still working. I assume that usb recovery is broken or missing from EC firmware and since i deleted my recovery partition from my ssd drive i assume maybe EC is still looking for some files on the ssd? Am i right?

I'm also asking this because i already read on other threads that after people see 2 caps blinks and win+b not working they usually end replacing the laptop's mainboard on warranty. I also called HP in my country and they told me the same.

So since SureStart handles such a thing NOT for this to happen. Is it possible to rebuild HP_TOOLS partition whith the necessary files that SureStart expects to recover from there? And it will work?

I plan maybe to remove the ssd drive and put it in another laptop then i want to put the files back there to be loaded by EC

Where i can get this files from? Or can someone help me and give to me a archive file with all the contents of his HP_TOOLS partition for this model?

If this SureStart thing is broken on zbook g3 and needs fixing it's very very sad. But i hope maybe i broke it and i can make it back to work without replacing the mainboard

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.