Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 15-ab293cl

hp pavilion 15-ab293cl

Need install Windows 10 on fresh drive *in legacy mode only*, unable to complete the install process as Windows installer complains that the partition created (legacy mode) is not available for install (appears to want UEFI partition.)

Details/background:

BIOS has Legacy Enabled and can boot a "linux recovery USB drive" in legacy mode.

I need install Windows 10 64-bit onto a blank SSD *in legacy mode*.

I have created Windows 10 (22H2 version) using media creation tool.

When I select (power on, escape, F9) among the available boot options, the USB device is shown at the end of the list, without UEFI tag.

I started the Windows 10 USB install media with that (non-UEFI) selection. created the intended OS install partition (a portion of the storage device).

Windows 10 completed initial phase (installing OS files), however, after the first reboot, Windows 10 installer said that the partition I created was a legacy partition (that's what I intended) however, Windows would not be able install there as the partition was not a UEFI (I forget the exact wording) partition.

How can I restart this procedure so that I end up with a Legacy-only install of Windows 10 on this machine, a hp pavilion 15-ab293cl.?

As the decision to use Legacy mode is made, responses advising that I should use UEFI instead are not a solution that can be used.

Happy to provide any other clarifying information requested.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @wb0gaz001,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

To install Windows 10 on a fresh drive in legacy mode on your HP Pavilion 15-ab293cl, follow these steps:

Prepare a Windows 10 Installation USB:

• Download the Windows 10 ISO from the official Microsoft website.
  • Use a tool like Rufus to create a bootable USB drive. Ensure you select "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM" in Rufus to create a legacy bootable USB drive.

Configure BIOS Settings:

• Turn off your laptop and turn it back on. Press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.
  • Press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
  • Navigate to the System Configuration tab.
  • Change the Boot Mode to Legacy.
  • Disable Secure Boot.
  • Save the changes and exit the BIOS.

Boot from the Installation USB:

• Insert the bootable USB drive into your laptop.
  • Restart the laptop and press Esc to access the Startup Menu.
  • Press F9 to select the boot device.
  • Choose the USB drive from the list and press Enter.

Partition the Drive:

• Once you boot from the USB drive, the Windows Setup will start.
  • When you reach the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, you'll need to partition the drive.
  • Delete all existing partitions on the drive to create a new partition for legacy mode.
  • Click on New to create a new partition. The setup will automatically create the necessary partitions.
  • Select the primary partition you just created and click Next.

Proceed with the Installation:

• The Windows installer should now proceed with the installation on the new partition without errors.

If you encounter issues, ensure:

• The disk is set to MBR (Master Boot Record) format. If the disk is GPT (GUID Partition Table), you'll need to convert it to MBR.
    • You can do this using the Diskpart tool:
      • Press Shift + F10 to open Command Prompt during the Windows Setup.
      • Type diskpart and press Enter.
      • Type list disk and press Enter to display the disks.
      • Type select disk X (replace X with the disk number) and press Enter.
      • Type clean and press Enter to remove all partitions.
      • Type convert mbr and press Enter to convert the disk to MBR.
      • Type exit and press Enter to close Diskpart.
    • Close Command Prompt and continue with the installation process.

By following these steps, you should be able to install Windows 10 in legacy mode on your HP Pavilion 15-ab293cl.

If you have performed all the steps and still having issues, I recommend you contact phone support for more details. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.