Advice on replacing inverter for dv5 (3378 Views)
Top Student
jmt5802
Message 1 of 10 (3,378 Views)
Accepted Solution

Advice on replacing inverter for dv5

I'm in the process of doing self-repair of the display for a dv5.  Right now I'm stuck in trying to remove the inverter and disconnecting one of the connectors.

How do I remove the inverter?  it seems to be encased in a plastic rectangular tube.  When I try to pull on the plastic rectangular case, it does not move.   I don't see any obvious screws to take off.   Is the inverter glued to the inside of the display case?  I'm afraid if I pull too hard, I will break something.

All the service manual says is "remove the inverter".

Second question related to the inverter.   Is there a special tool or techique to disconnect the display panel cable from the inverter?  The connector is very small.  I have hard time getting grip on the white connector part. 

Any advice will be appreciated.

jim

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 10 (3,367 Views)

Re: Advice on replacing inverter for dv5

Top Student
jmt5802
Message 3 of 10 (3,359 Views)

HaggisCat,

Thank you for the reply.

I am aware of the manual.  However, the part that I'm having trouble with is on bottom of page 81 and top of 82, steps 25 & 26.  The inverter does not seem to budge when I pull on it.  I don't see any screws to remove.

Any advice on the technique or tool that I can use to remove the display panel cable connector from the inverter? 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 10 (3,342 Views)

I am sorry, that is all I have. When I am unfamiliar with a procedure, my local computer repair shops will always lend a quick hand. I am not sure how charitable they would be in your area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaY9yywk6EQ&feature=related

I found this youtube video, but it's so fast, it isn't much help. I stopped the video slider at 37 seconds and it looks like he is either prying or unscrewing something. It's very difficult to tell.

Grad Student
ClintonTam
Message 5 of 10 (3,335 Views)

I assumed that your dv5 is dv5-1200 series with Intel CPU.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=3744212&MEID=24CD9F09-2C3A-405B-AA48-1FEC1CB88DE5

Select the Inverter ( Recessed ) at the left-hand side of this HP Service Media Library for dv5-1200 ( intel cpu ). It should pop up both video and text procedure for you remove the inverter.

Have fun.

Top Student
jmt5802
Message 6 of 10 (3,317 Views)

Clinton,

Thank you very much.  I believe this answered both of my questions.

I do have one additional question.   Other than the direct link you provided to the videos, how do I find the video clips through the hp.com site.  In case I want to find videos for other types of equipment, it will be helpful for me to know how to find those videos.

Jim T

Grad Student
ClintonTam
Message 7 of 10 (3,309 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try the following url,

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/

It should pop up a HP Partner Service Media Library for you. You need to follow the instruction at the top to select the following;

Example below assuming for dv5-1200 series Intel CPU notebook.

1. Product Category ( in your case - Laptops/Tablets/Netbooks )

2. Product Family ( in your case - HP Pavilion Notebook PCs )

3. Product series ( in your case - HP dv5-1200 Entertainment Notebook PC series )

Once you completed the above 3 steps, it should pop up a lot of options for you to select.

Again, in your case you want to select FRU Remove/Replace ( AMD or Intel ).

A new quick link to dv5-1200 HP Service Media Library pop up and you can select any one of the options at the left-hand side.

Hope this url and example will benefit all of the users in this forum.

Keep this url handy and download the video you want to keep. It is because I really don't know how long we can access this url in the future.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 10 (3,301 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's a nice piece of information on video's !  :smileyhappy:

On the dv8 and HDX machines the "Key-Board Cover" or rather the troublesome hot key bezel is clearly shown how to remove it. Somebody goofed on the maintenance and service guide where it tells you to start the removal procedure from the front and work your way to the back. This is very wrong and if you try it this way, it will break.

The video shows the correct way to start from the back (nearest the screen) and work towards the front.

This is an incredibly valuable piece of information as it's removal and reseating of the cable is one of the solutions to get the OSD from popping up all on their own.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=4011373&MEID=2A9B17CB-4DD3-46D8-A744-318897D3C275

Click on "Key Board Cover" in the left column to watch the video.  :smileyvery-happy:

Give the page a number of seconds to load.

Top Student
jmt5802
Message 9 of 10 (3,285 Views)

Clinton,

Thank you again.

Using the link I found the specific unit I have the dv5t-1000.  The instructions were the same as for the unit you pointed out.

I agree with HaggisCat that this is a valuable link to those of us who are willing to try the adventure of self-maintenance. :-)

Jim T

Student
scottdd
Message 10 of 10 (1,655 Views)

Has this video been removed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation