Question

Honor Student
Xanis
Message 1 of 78 (83,907 Views)

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

[ Edited ]

I am having a problem with the display driver on my computer that causes it to freeze up, the screen goes black, and then an error message appears telling me "Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered." When the problem happens again, the computer completely crashes and gives me this BSOD:

BSOD.jpg

Upon restart, the computer informs me that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. The details in the window which appear are as follows:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8008DE8010

BCP2: FFFFF88004A2CC58

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768 1

I am running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and have had the computer less than a week, the stats for which are as follows:

HP Pavilion dv7t Entertainment PC

--Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
--Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
--1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors
--4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
--500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
--17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
The problem occurs whenever I try to watch videos, has only been doing so in the past few days, and a system restore did not resolve the problem.
Does anybody know of any solutions to this problem, and how to go about implementing them?
Top Student
AlQYu
Message 2 of 78 (83,881 Views)

Re: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

That is the exact message i've gotten on my HP Envy 17. The computer screen went black when i went on youtube then it displayed a message saying that it recovered from an error, shortly after it brought up the blue screen. Have you gotten any feedback from HP on this error?

Thanks,

Al

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 78 (83,872 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I suspect that this is a problem with Ati graphic driver.

Please give me some extra info:

1. Write your notebook product number (p/n). You'll find it at the bottom of the laptop on a sticker.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

2. Go to:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

and compress all files from there into one file with 7zip(free) or WinRar.
Upload this file on any server (example: MediaFire) and in your next reply paste link to it.
This way we will try to find out what is causing this BSOD issue.

Resource:
How to compress and upload Minidump files.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Top Student
alphanov
Message 4 of 78 (83,860 Views)

Hi

I am also having this problem (HDX9095EA) and have contacted ATI who were decidedly unhelpful!

This doesn't seem to be a problem solely with HP products but is a general issue with ATI drivers and Windows 7.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved or the expensive laptops will be just useful as paperweights! 

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 5 of 78 (83,858 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nvidia cards have this problem too. Imay add that this problem is very often hard to solve.

Things which you may try?

A.

Check is your notebook overheating or not:

To do that use HWMonitor (free and recommended).

If it's overheating then check this guide.

B.

Update Bios and graphic drivers:

Remember to uninstall from system current graphic drivers first before installing newer.

Resources:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

How to uninstall or change a program in Vista

How to change or remove a program in Windows XP

How to find latest Bios update and graphic driver for specific model?

1. Click on Support & Drivers link. (Upper part of this page.)

2. In search box type your laptop product number (p/n).

Resource:

How to Locate the Notebook p/n

3. Choose ' Next '.

4. Click ' Software & Driver Downloads '.

5. Use the dropdown selector to select correct operation system and click ' Next '.

6. Click the Plus sign.PNG sign next to ' BIOS ' or ' Driver - Graphics ' and there will be latest update.

Comment:

If newest release of  graphic drivers are not working then check older version too . Not always latest version is the best solution. Sometimes

older version are better working drivers. In the same category click on ' (Previous versions available) ' link and you will find them.

Warning!

Bios update is always very risky. Your notebook may not boot after this step, so be careful and have full patience. You will perform this update at your own risk. I do not take responsibility for any problems.

How to update Bios?

Download the latest Bios update for your specific model .

Plug the AC adapter to the netbook. 

Disconnect from the Internet. Close all currently running programs. Disable anti-virus and firewall.

Double-click the Bios update exe file. It may take some time, so it is important to remain patient, do not interrupt the process. Allow the notebook to restart after applying the updated BIOS.

While this update is running do not:

• switch off your laptop, 
  • unplug the AC adapter,
  • try to run any software or do anything on the notebook.

Note:

The Bios update process is always risky. You will do this at your own risk.

C.

Your notebook is on warranty?

Use it and contact with HP. How to do it all informations here.

Resource:

HP Product Warranty Status Check

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Student
twilson1951
Message 6 of 78 (83,849 Views)

I have the same problem with a brand new DV6 with an Intel HD video.  My USB ports randomly turn off also.   I spent 2 hours with tech support - ran the disc diagnostics...no problem - updated the bios...fixed the screwy track pad - still it will freeze on hibernate or go blue screen on shutdown or shut off the usb ports.  I turned off all power management of the usb ports thinking that the "green features" might be causing the problem.  Seems to me this is a motherboard problem.

Any thoughts?

Honor Student
Xanis
Message 7 of 78 (83,808 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay, the information you requested is here...
Product Number: WW179AV
And the link to the files that I have uploaded following your instructions: http://www.mediafire.com/?cc5a5p3axk2vk9i
Thanks!

Also...I did the temperature check so you have that as well, and here are the results it gave:

Computer Temperature.jpg

In downloading and trying different driver versions, it seems like the previous version works for a while, but then my computer reverts back somehow and continues the error/BSOD/crash cycle.

Top Student
alphanov
Message 8 of 78 (83,776 Views)

Flashing the BIOS has sorted my graphics problem - thanks!  I've not marked it as solved as I hijacked the thread!  :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
safmoh
Message 9 of 78 (83,617 Views)

Update the driver online..
Student
dms82
Message 10 of 78 (83,468 Views)

I am having the same issue a failing display driver. I have done all the steps from Daniel_Potyrala's post, but my situation has not improved. I have an HP tx2500 running Windows 7 Professional. I have updated the bios to the most current version and I have the most current ATI display drivers downloaded from HP (BTW, I cannot find the older versions of the ATI display drivers on the HP support site you provided, only older versions of the BIOS).

I did some upgrades to this system as I bought it in August of 2008 and am past the warranty period.

1. I replaced the hard drive that came with the computer, a 160gb 5400 RPM with a 500gb 7200 RPM Hitachi

2. I used to have Windows Vista (64-bit) and upgraded to Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) when I installed the new HD above. I still have the old HD with Windows Vista and am tempted to put it back into the machine if all else fails.

A few things I noticed:

1. The display will fail only when the laptop is running on battery power. If I have the AC plugged in, I have no problems.

2. The display will only fail if the computer is under moderate load (running on battery power). If I play Youtube videos or any moderate flash content from websites, the display driver will fail. If I play video files, the display driver will fail. I have experienced a few failures with word processing, but it is not as regular. If the system is idle, there are no failures.

3. I will not get the BSOD. The display driver will just fail regularly and recover, sometimes every 20-30 seconds.

Since I saw no issues when using AC power, I figured my battery might be the problem. So I tried using a new battery, an 8-cell HP replacement (more power than the 4-cell battery that came with my laptop), but the display driver still fails.

Could it have been my HD replacement? Will a 7200 RPM drive draw more power and cause other systems (the display driver) to fail? Or is this a Windows 7 issue? I feel like the battery cannot supply enough power (voltage?) especially since the laptop will work fine on AC power.

I'm about ready to give up on this machine. It is unusable as a portable system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation