Dv6 Horizontal Line Flicker (2565 Views)
Teacher
bnjroo
Message 11 of 25 (7,672 Views)

Re: Dv6 Horizontal Line Flicker

i have a dv6-6140us and at one point i noticed it had some horizontal flickering lines, like lines of static. tried to catch them on video, but they don't show up on the camera. there was an update on the video drivers at some point, and i haven't noticed them since.

"There's no such thing as a fool proof system. Someone will make a better fool tomorrow."
Gun Honor Student
Honor Student
Gun
Message 12 of 25 (7,666 Views)

I just bought dv6 6128ca yesterday and it exhibit the same symptom.

is there a solution for this? gonna have to wait for the weekend to drop by the store.

so is this the same problem for all HP dv6? should i bother exchanging or should i just return it altogether?

my artifact is sometime white and gray line like a static on tv set.

and as i'm typing this post now there's also a faint white artifact next to this textbox

Honor Student
baldbeard
Message 13 of 25 (7,643 Views)

Having the same problem and am just wondering if there has been any update/solution to the issue for anyone? I purchased a DV6-6124CA on August 26. I am certainly not trying to hijack the thread from the original poster, rather I am trying to provide some more information and perhaps a solution/work-around.

From what I understand this is a common problem with the dv6 line. As far as I can tell it occurs when the system idles and subsequently shuts down the display. I played around a bit this evening to try and recreate the issue, and that (as far as I can tell) is the only situation where this problem arises. I disabled the auto shut off display in power options, and then closed the lid of my unit and it did not re-occur. I also noticed that, while the issue was occurring, unplugging the unit from the power supply eliminated the problem...but once I plugged back in it came back. Connecting the display to my HDTV through HDMI also corrected the problem temporarily, but of course returned after disconnecting from the external display source. Restarting the computer is the only thing that clears it up, until the display automatically shuts down again.

Bottom line, it only happens to me when I set the display to automatically turn off after a set amount of time. Once I disabled that feature, I haven't had the problem come back up. If that is indeed the only sacrifice I have to make, then I can live with that. From my limited testing screensavers don't cause the problem, and I always close the lid anyway.

Hopefully this work-around solves the problem for the rest of you. Let me know if that is a workable solution.

Teacher
bnjroo
Message 14 of 25 (7,632 Views)

[ Edited ]

are you sure you have the latest video drivers? run hp support assistant and let it look for the drivers. this seemed to solve the problem for my dv6-6140us which i purchased on 08/08/11

i have my power settings to dim after x-minutes and also to shut off the monitor after about 10 minutes, so i'm not sure if that would have made an impact on the static lines or not.

"There's no such thing as a fool proof system. Someone will make a better fool tomorrow."
Top Student
KogMaw
Message 15 of 25 (7,330 Views)

My guess so far is that it's most likely the inverter, cable or both. Well, it could be the case of defect mobo or screen but I prefer not letting these 'bright' thoughts into my head. :smileyvery-happy: Oh, still haven't tried external monitor.

Hi, I got my dv6z 6100 sometime August. I got the one with FullHD matte display. 

The trouble is, when the display is being turned off by the power plan settings, i.e. idle mode timer, some flickering horizontal white lines appear. At first there are many white lines in the middle of the screen. After a while the many lines turn into one, that flickers in the top part of the screen. 

Note that this doesn't appear when the screen is constantly on. Also, it doesn't happen every time the screen goes off. And it usually dissapears for some time when I close or move the lid. 

Honor Student
Lost_Postman
Message 16 of 25 (7,311 Views)

Resolved the problem on a dv6-6184ca purshased in august by uninstalling ATI catalyst completely and thne reinstalling the updated one from the hp website.

In order not to get the BSOD ive had to uninstall all microsft visual C++ redistributable version first after catalyst then reboot and proceed with the reinstallation. You can then reinstall the redistributable.

The BSOD was due to an uncompatible version and a bug between ATI drivers and microsoft redistributable.

With the updated driver no more flickers of anykind for over a month. I can assume its fixedon my side.

I do hope this helps some of you.

Intern
xorbitman
Message 17 of 25 (6,939 Views)

I purchased a brand new HP 6184CA this past August and started having the same issues: A flickering line at the top of the screen just below the black bezel. I even sent it away to HP and they changed the motherboard then I plugged it in and I started to get the same problem all over again. Then I did some research using Google and came across this fix which seems to have helped many owners with the same problems.

Try disabling the feature that automatically shuts down the display. It's under 'Choose when to turn off the display' in 'Power Options' (easily accessed by clicking on the battery icon in the system tray and selecting 'More power options'.

I posted some more information on this issue in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Dv6-Horizontal-Line-Flicker/td-p/815489/page...

It seems to have worked for me (DV6-6124CA), and I am still able to close the lid without it happening. Perfectly acceptable work-around in my opinion, but a permanent and proper solution would be preferable.

Good luck, hope this works for everyone.

Tutor
wmbill
Message 18 of 25 (6,923 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the line problem on 2 g6 models, both of which I returned. My sister has a Lenovo x120e that has the same problem.  A couple of fine white solid and dotted lines flickering along the top edge of the screen that would escalate at times to white and black lines jumping up and down the screen. I've read lots of comments about this problem on the HP support site as well as the Lenovo support site. I've only seen the problem mentioned on models with the AMD A/E series processors. Not sure if it's possibly a software glitch or hardware problem. I updated to the latest software and drivers which didn't help. I know that it only seems to occur after the screen has been turned off by the power management and turned back on by a mouse swipe or pressing a key, and it doesn't happen every time, which is confusing  (but if it happens, it's always after the screen on/off thing). If you shut off the screen time-out by selecting "never" on the power management menu, the problem seems to stop. Unfortunately if you use this remedy you must have the screen on all the time....... although, you can close and open the lid, or have the computer go to sleep and wake it up, both of which don't seem to cause the lines; like I said before, it only happens when JUST the screen turns off and is turned back on. I think this problem could be inherent in all the AMD A/E series and just doesn't happen to most users because the default screen time-out setting is 15 minutes and they don't change it so their screens never time-out causing the problem to occur.   I'm really disappointed though, because I really liked the idea of the APU, but don't want to risk that this problem is hardware based and might possibly get worse. I haven't seen any comments on the part of AMD. The Lenovo site's moderator says that they can't reproduce the problem. I guess I'll wait an while and see what happens before I buy again. 

P.S.  I tried the uninstall and reinstall driver solution, but it didn't work for me. 

Intern
xorbitman
Message 19 of 25 (6,917 Views)

Horizontal Line Flicker
12-11-2011 09:23 PM

I purchased a brand new HP 6184CA this past August and started having the same issues: A flickering line at the top of the screen just below the black bezel. I even sent it away to HP and they changed the motherboard then I plugged it in and I started to get the same problem all over again. Then I did some research using Google and came across this fix which seems to have helped many owners with the same problems.

Try disabling the feature that automatically shuts down the display. It's under 'Choose when to turn off the display' in 'Power Options' (easily accessed by clicking on the battery icon in the system tray and selecting 'More power options'.

I posted some more information on this issue in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Dv6-Horizontal-Line-Flicker/td-p/815489/page...

It seems to have worked for me (DV6-6124CA), and I am still able to close the lid without it happening. Perfectly acceptable work-around in my opinion, but a permanent and proper solution would be preferable.

Good luck, hope this works for everyone.

Top Student
Southampton_lad
Message 20 of 25 (5,416 Views)

Yes my problems are exactly the same as a lot of you on here. My computer is the new HP Pavilion dv6
My Graphics Processor is the VISION A6 by AMD and here is the problem...
After some time-outs of the display the screen comes back on and there will be horizontal flickers/lines jumping about across the screen in random places... (like static glitches) which after about a minuite settle down into just one flickering line right at the top of the screen (just underneath the screen bezel)
A reset will make this go away for a while, but it comes back again every so often.
Installing the latest "Catalyst" drivers has not solved the problem, the problem remains the same, and only occours sometimes, but always after a screen time-out so far.
Another interesting thing about the flickering at the top of the screen is... it dissappears when you open certain windows, or do certain things elsewhere i.e. calling up the start menu will stop the flickering sometimes, until you close the start menu, and the flickering resumes. Sometimes you can drag the cursor to the top of the screen and the flicker will go until you move the cursor off again. sometimes when a prompt box pops up in the middle of the screen, the flicker at the top of screen will stop until you click "OK" and then resume after...

We know that a lot of others are having EXACTLY the same issue, in with exactly the same flicker in exactly the same places on the screen, so something fishy is going on here... GPU's generally fail in many different ways, with many different symptoms, so i doubt its that! surely its something else like software, or something on the motherboard interfering.. something that is the same in all these machines.

I was wondering if it was an issue with the way the GPU is clocked Or some clocking issue regarding RAM vs GPU etc. Is something out of sync? does it go out of sync when the screen shuts off? Does anyone on here know anything about how these machines are clocked by hp? The reason I ask is because I was reminded of a post I read a couple of years ago regarding screen flicker on a series of ATI cards due to overclocking....

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/273975-15-solution-screen-flickers-cards-4800-series 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation