Format Not Supported (8679 Views)
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 1 of 2 (8,679 Views)
Accepted Solution

Format Not Supported

[ Edited ]

This topic has been dealt with in many other posts, but none of the solutions worked for me. This is on my mothers machine and it's 2 years old. (dv7-1027 ca)

No Blu-rays will play any more. Downloaded the latest Quick Play version from Cyberlink and it just keeps prompting me to down load the latest version. It simply does not work.

Tried downloading many versions specific for this laptop and others, old and new. All I get is FORMAT NOT SUPPORTED. Tried running CC Cleaner and then reinstalling Media Smart DVD, tried reinstalling the CD/DVD drive in the device manager (that was an HP employees suggestion) Nothing works !

It still has the original Vista operating system on it as my mother wants it that way. That should not make any difference though. So I tried installing Windows 7, went through the whole process again and still nothing. I even tried running a CODEC repair program.

I don't know what to do except to install a retail version and forget about the unstable HP software ???????????  :smileymad:

Why is it so difficult for HP to work with Cyberlink to actually come up with some software that will play Blu-ray movies.

I just tried installing a trial version of Cyberlinks Power DVD 9 and it works perfectly, so it's not the hardware in the laptop. Something else that's curious is when I installed a HP Media Smart version to play Blu-rays it was not listed as a choice in "Auto Play" in the control panel ??????????

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 2 (8,636 Views)

Re: Format Not Supported

Did some reading what would affect the Media smart Program not to recognise the actual Blu-ray drive and found the only driver that there was to update was the BIOS (basic in out system) see attachment :

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-bios.htm

The BIOS also affects the DVD/CD/Blu-ray optical player. Updating the Bios actually worked. It was a very, almost obvious fix. I am surprised that no one else here figured this out. The other  thing that also has helped other people is they have to temporarily disable their virus protection and Windows Firewall so the Media Smart software is able to download all the registry files properly. This did not make any difference for me, but I thought I should mention it.

Updating the BIOS can be finicky, so rather then allow the update to load into a temporary file, I saved it to the desk top first, closed everything down and then ran the update. I am not saying you have to do it this way, it is more likely to install with less problems. You can also check to see if the file for the update downloaded correctly before running it.

I am also going to see if the latest software for the actual Quick Play will work too, as it just kept prompting me that a critical component was missing, but I am satisfied though that the Media Smart software does work.

See this other post for more information :

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/QuickPlay-in-Windows-7/m-p/241844#M34901

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation