Question

Honor Student
ESebele
Message 1 of 5 (4,175 Views)

HP Media Smart DVD, "format not supported"

I have checked around on this site and google, and found a lot of similar problems, however, they said they have recently installed something, while in my case I didn't change anything.  I was watching a BluRay movie, was about half way through and decided to close it and go do some work.  I came back later, with out even turning off my computer or removing the disc in between, and it only gives me the message "Format not supported. Please insert a movie"  I took out the movie and checked the disc, no scratches, checked the lens, appeared fine, put it back in and the message flashed for a second, then I lighter square appeared as though the movie was going to start (only it was full screen dimensions) but nothing happened.  So I restarted the program and the message still appeared.  I restarted the computer, problem continues.  I try a regular DVD, same thing.  I try the regular DVD in WMP and it works fine.  The eject button in MediaSmart still works, I check the "Update" tab in settings, no updates.

Wasn't that a great story?  Maybe someone could find an ending for it!

Because I didn't install anything, touch the disc drive, or turn off the computer, I guess the only thing that I could possibly imagine effecting it could be the fact that I spent 5-7 hours between viewings on Maya 2011, doing multiple renders, some of which causing Maya to crash.  Perhaps, PERHAPS the video card is calling it quits, which I still doubt because I've been through this whole setup many times, minus the "format not supported" problem.

Comp. Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

4GB RAM

64-Bit OS

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (Graphics Card)

hp BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device (DVD/CD-ROM drive)

-running on 2 monitors-

Please respond if you know anything that could be of help as soon as possible, I want to find out how it ends!

Student
sploggins
Message 2 of 5 (4,014 Views)

Re: HP Media Smart DVD, "format not supported"

I have similar problem. Tried to uninstall program and then restore, but can't do that either. Maybe that will work for you. I am just using Windows Media Player.

Student
slopez24
Message 3 of 5 (3,453 Views)

I have this exact same problem and the same computer. it happened in the same way. Did you find a solution?

Honor Student
ESebele
Message 4 of 5 (3,403 Views)

Yes, I found a solution, sort-of.  I went into my internet history back 2 weeks and found the page where I got the update from, and re-installed it.  That seemed to do the trick, but it's not a dependable solution...

Honor Student
aputerlady
Message 5 of 5 (3,195 Views)

me too - worked last week - does not work now

Install newest 
Smart Viewer Media Pack

rebooted

still won't run

PC recognizes BluRay and even shows the title but when Smart Viewer starts it says

Format not supported please insert a movie

really frustrated

just wanted to watch a movie

not spend hours futzing with the computer 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation