HP Pavilion dv5-1200 Display problem. Like every other HP! (11440 Views)
Top Student
liveordie72089
Message 1 of 13 (11,440 Views)

HP Pavilion dv5-1200 Display problem. Like every other HP!

I have been noticing that a lot of HP's have been having trouble with their Display well I got one in the other day knowing it was broken from the begining. The problem I am having is when I turn on the computer the screen is black. No matter how long I wait the screen will stay black. I seen some people on here have had bad wires in their display but I am not sure what to do.

Here is what I did so far.

1. Turn off comp, Removed battery, Un plugged power cable, and held in the power button for 30 secs to 1 min. Then plugged the power cable in and started it up. Nothing

2. I have tried to connect my big screen TV to the HDMI port. (Nothing) I dont think hooking up a VGA will make a difference but I can check that also.

Anyone have any suggestions? I heard of the LCD cables going bad. I am just hoping its not my Graphics card or something like.

Anyone have a suggestions on parts I should buy and where I can purchase them?

Top Student
liveordie72089
Message 2 of 13 (11,401 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5-1200 Display problem. Like every other HP!

Anyone?

Top Student
liveordie72089
Message 3 of 13 (11,380 Views)

Please someone help!

Student
tpry
Message 4 of 13 (11,311 Views)

my HP DV5-1116us just started doing the same thing. My pc tech said it is a typical problem. I think you are out of luck without paying for an expensive repair. The issue may be the video supply line(I believe it is called).  On mine even connecting an external monitoor does not help.

all the best, Tim

Top Student
liveordie72089
Message 5 of 13 (11,228 Views)

A little update. I have been ordering parts for my Laptop. I ordered a Motherboard replaced no fix. Then I ordered a computer screen. When I turn on the laptop finally I see something lol. Now the only problem I have is the picture is very distorted so I ordered a LCD inverter to see if this fixes the machine. Anyone else no something I could do to figure this screen distortion?

Top Student
netseby
Message 6 of 13 (11,176 Views)

The cable connecting the LCD screen to the motherboard is either loose or damaged.

Connect your laptop to an external monitor through VGA.

Honor Student
almada
Message 7 of 13 (11,105 Views)

My daughter's HP Pavilion dv6700 has been overheating for awhile...she was afraid to tell us thinking she'd get into trouble with her dad...now her screen is just black, just like you've experienced.  It has an nvidia GPU but it's not covered by the lawsuit...it overheats and it's one of the laptops listed in the battery recall...but it's the wrong battery.  Well, it seems to me that if it is too much of a coincidence to have the same problems as everyone else, yet not qualify for a repair/replacement.

Very, very dissapointed with HP products...all the symptomps point to shoddy manufacturing but the only recourse is to spend another $300-$400 to fix it. 

Top Student
liveordie72089
Message 8 of 13 (11,023 Views)

Yeah I understand. I think I am done with HP also. Apparently we arent the only ones. Still waiting for this LCD inverter which I think is going to fix this laptop. Because the chord that was mentioned has been replaced when I bought a new lcd screen.

Student
Lily-Hith-Silme
Message 9 of 13 (10,788 Views)

I have the dv5-1235 and have had problems with racing black lines or flickering, as some may call it, on my screen. This happened for the first time about six months ago and was able to determine that it was the graphics card and was able to get it replaced, under warranty, by HP. But, since then, I've had my hard drive crash, which was my falt, and had it replaced and now, roughly 2 months later I've started to see those racing lines again. I've tried to hook it up to an external moniter to see whether it was my screen or my graphics card. Unfortunately, both times I've plugged it in the other moniter the symptoms have not shown up. Anyone have any suggestions or comments as to how I can fix this. I want to finally get this problem solved and have HP fix this once and for all.

Any help would be much appreciated,

~Lily

Honor Student
Kalisary
Message 10 of 13 (10,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Lily-Hith-Silme,

I believe your issue may be related to the display cable degradation common to DV5s and discussed in this thread; http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display-and-video/DV5-display-issue/m-p/485865#M19364 I say this, as you are able to get no similar problem when connecting to an external display. This issue is also characterised by differences noted in the way the 'flickering' occurs when the screen is moved, particularly if fully extended or almost closed. Bear in mind, that if you open the laptop, the cord may not appear visibly damaged but upon exposing the wires the damage becomes apparent.

Unfortunately, if connecting the display to an external monitor does not alleviate a display issue, as has been described by some posters in theis thread, cord degradation can not be the issue (or cannot be the ONLY issue, it may still be a confounding problem).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation