Question

Honor Student
Gibbs
Message 1 of 33 (48,976 Views)

HP Pavilion dv9000 Screen Black Help!

A few days ago our screen went black...we shut it down and a day or two later we restarted it and it was fine.  On Friday it would only show a black screen when it was powered up.  All of the blue lights are lit and the fan powers on and fan but nothing appears on the screen.  Any ideas?

Top Student
OliverB
Message 2 of 33 (48,922 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 Screen Black Help!

gibbs, if you're video chip is either 8400 or 8600 join the hundreds (incl me) that are victims of this defective product.
Student
trakster
Message 3 of 33 (49,032 Views)

Happened to my laptop over a year ago.  Hook up an external monitor from your VGA port and see if you have a Video output.  If you do, like I did, you will need a new monitor screen and cable.  If not, it's most likely the video chip.

I was lucky that HP repaired my laptop under warranty even though my warranty was out of date by a month.

Top Student
SarahL
Message 4 of 33 (49,018 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sounds like what happend to me.  There are some DV9000s that are eligible for repair.

Check h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us, and see if your model is listed there.  If it is, you can send it in for repair! :smileyhappy:

Good Luck!  :smileyhappy:

EDIT by Katie_H (4/1/11): Removed broken link

Student
tat2d
Message 5 of 33 (48,231 Views)

My computer did the same thing. First I was told that my p/n or s/n was not part of this "recall," then was told it is covered by this enhancement but the enhancement expired May 31, 2009. How convenient. So I have a computer that is 2 years old, and HP refuses to fix their known issue. Now I have to form out another $1200 to get a new laptop that has the same features that I need as the one I already have. They couldn't even give me a price on purchasing a new motherboard and graphics card. Talking to them on the phone was beyond irritating and got me nothing but a higher blood pressure. They refused to give me a supervisor and refused to give me someone in the United States. So to solve this problem, you are better off buying a new laptop, but don't get an HP brand. If you are up to the challenge and irritation, you can call their "Corporate" number at 650-857-1501.
Student
Valken
Message 6 of 33 (47,320 Views)

Just happened to me about 2 hours ago. Working on a project like always when my screen went blank for about 10 seconds. It came back up with notification that the display driver failed, but had recovered on it's own. I was able to work for another 3 minutes give or take when it happened again, but it didn't come back this time.

Model dv9000 (dv9207us). Product RP282UA. NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600.

Mine is the same story as the rest. Not listed on the recall listThe back light is on. All of the keyboard lights are on. The hard drive is working. I can plug in a monitor and run in safe mode, but as soon as I start Windows normally, the screen stays blank on the external monitor as well.

It is frustrating to see that there are so many that have the same issue, yet HP refuses to help out, or even acknowledge that there is a problem to begin with. I tried the trickle power dump as stated in a few posts. I tried a restore. I've taken out and reseated my hard drives and memory to make sure there was a snug fit and no foreign debris.

If there is anything that I'm missing, or if someone could offer any insight....it would be most welcome.

Honor Student
JasonLucy
Message 7 of 33 (46,357 Views)

I too had this problem dv9207us.  Currently I am running in SVGA 1024x768 with the GPU uninstalled. 

I am debating reflowing the GPU, due to risks and costs involved.

However, I am currently formulating an idea to use and expresscard gpu to a 1080p TV.

Tutor
Pustulous
Message 8 of 33 (46,340 Views)

If you place a powerful flashlight against the screen with the system on, do you notice anything on the screen in that area?

Have you connected an external monitor?

This wouldn't happen to have an Nvidia GPU in it, would it?

If the third question applies, go here.

HP DV6275us RP284UA#ABA (Bricked video)
Intel Centrino Core Duo
Nvidia Geforce GO 7400 (not 'GO'-ing anywhere anymore)
1gb x 2 DDR2 5300
160gb SATA HDD
DVDRW
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

Kurt Cobain
Student
draj
Message 9 of 33 (45,947 Views)

[ Edited ]

my screen got black it is like a death but power lids on but nothing seems working. i have also the same problem with my dv9000. if anybody have solution plz send us.

Student
rclinger
Message 10 of 33 (45,913 Views)

I also have a dv9000 that started going black on Monday, HP did agree to fix a known problem for $400.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation