Question

Top Student
sir_timbit
Message 1 of 19 (92,254 Views)

How to use HP Mini's built-in webcam in Windows 7?

I have a new HP Mini 5101 netbook. It came with a built-in webcam. Yay! It also came with Windows 7 Starter. Ugh!

How do I get it to access the built-in webcam? In Windows XP, you'd just go to My Computer, and there was a camera icon right there. You'd double-click it, and the camera would start operating. I can't find any similar feature for Windows 7, I can't find any topic in the HP Help for using the web cam, and there's nothing listed in the support topics for accessing the camera in the HP Mini support section.

The camera is recognized in Device Manager, so I know it's not a driver issue. I just don't see where I'm supposed to click to access the webcam.

Someone must have come across this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sir_Timbit

Top Student
sir_timbit
Message 2 of 19 (92,241 Views)

Re: How to use HP Mini's built-in webcam in Windows 7?

Heard back from an HP rep. Sure enough, Windows 7 itself does not have a basic utility to capture stills from the built-in webcam,  unlike Windows XP. I found a free open-source utility called Dorgem that does the job though. Other than that, I guess Microsoft expects you to download Windows Live Messenger.

Honor Student
conleygirl56
Message 3 of 19 (88,365 Views)

Dorgem has been discontinued so I think you'll have to go with MSN live messenger. :smileysad:

Student
hannahbanana19
Message 4 of 19 (83,692 Views)

i figured it out all you have to do is go to start right underneitheall programs type in webcam and it should be the top icon

Student
pramodvpai
Message 5 of 19 (79,426 Views)

Hey this is Pai,pumpai from mumbai.

Dude,the trick is really easy,hit the start and look for WebCam Companion 3.once you are done with that A POP UP APPEARS,AFTER THAT IT IS SELF Explanation's in case you don't have  webcam companion 3.you can install it from this website itself or google fort webcam campanion 3.i thinkthat should set up your cam.in case of queries feel free to mail ,me.

Chaooooo Take care

pramodvpai,pramod v pai,indianpai,pramodpai,pumpai

Student
anyian26
Message 6 of 19 (66,419 Views)

how to webcamera in hp G42-458TU. i cant find any drive for webcame.

what to do?

Student
ash_andme
Message 7 of 19 (59,643 Views)

Hi I followed your directions. I have companion 3 in my computer but when the pop up opened up it said that my webcam is not functioning properly or my webcam cannot be found. I have a built in webcam in the middle of my laptop but it won't connect. Do you have any suggestions?

Honor Student
stick69r
Message 8 of 19 (52,277 Views)

Hi?I need help setting up my webcam thats built in my hp desk top please?

Top Student
tallulah
Message 9 of 19 (50,992 Views)

I have the exact same problem. I've had my hp mini 210-1040NR for 1 1/2 years. for the first year (while it was in warranty) all was fine. then last june I skyped someone and they complained that they couldn't see me.

i'll bet i've spend 100 hours trying to fix this problem. but i end up at the same place you are: with the message that 'either your webcam is in use or not connected'.

i'm thinking that the 'webcam-50' listed under my device manager is just a ubs port to plug a camera in. i think my built in cam might actually be broken.

when this first happened i found a site where this guy said he'd tried everything and finally he discovered the problem was with this 6.00 part which he bought online. he said while you didn't have to be an expert to put it in, it required some nerve to open up your netbook, get the old part out and the new one in.

if my netbook were older, i'd have tried it immediately, but being only a year old, i was afraid to risk it. now i can't find that forum.

anyway, did you find a way to fix your problem?

Student
tiamda
Message 10 of 19 (49,613 Views)

ive been having the same problem with my web cam. i mean...i know how to get my face in the picture, but i dont know what to do to take it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation