Question

Honor Student
Nphekt
Message 1 of 9 (12,702 Views)

I wish to disable Switchable Graphics on a DV7-4030ed

First of all, thanks for reading this post. I recently bought a HP DV7-4030ed, i'm a graphic/game designer and i work a lot with different kinds of game engines, and this means that i want to have my drivers updated. I always plug in my pc, so i don't use my Intel gpu a lot. Sadly, Catalyst isn't compatible with intel switchable graphics. And i still got my warranty, so i don't want to flash my BIOS. If you know how to solve this, please reply. 

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 9 (12,696 Views)

Re: I wish to disable Switchable Graphics on a DV7-4030ed

There is no way to disable the Switchable Graphics....if you can stop the switching from happening...Unchecking 'Automatically select power-saving GPU when on battery' in Configure Switchable Graphic Panel....

configure.png

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
Nphekt
Message 3 of 9 (12,691 Views)

I already did that. That AND disabling the intel GPU with the device manager. But that just switches the Switchable Graphics to a a Catalyst button (that doesn't work) 

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 9 (12,679 Views)

Nphekt wrote:

But that just switches the Switchable Graphics to a a Catalyst button (that doesn't work) 

My Apologies, but I did not get the above statement, are you saying that you are not able to switch manually after doing that change?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Tutor
shineangelic
Message 5 of 9 (12,393 Views)

[ Edited ]

And what to do if  "Configure Switchable Graphic Panel" doesn't work??

Switchable Graphics is a bit crappy IMHO.

I have a similar problem, as I wrote on http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display-and-video/dv6-3122sl-catalyst-sudden-death/td-p/412469

The updated ATI drivers are installed properly (ie no error reported during installation) to version 8.771, but if I launch the Switchable Graphics panel it crashes without reporting any error. CCC doesn't work, too, and crashes in the same way.

Please help

Jagan613
Message 6 of 9 (10,736 Views)

:womanwink:This is not at all working

Student
Jose_Irongunner
Message 7 of 9 (10,725 Views)

Hello, I dont see my ccc settings as the last image .. if and once I was happy because I configure it to be used by plugging the high performance GPU. I want it back but I do not leave me as the last image ccc help please !!!!!! sorry my bad English

Top Student
EDAM72
Message 8 of 9 (9,866 Views)

I had this same problem. HP now has a fix for all their laptops with switchable graphics. It is a BIOS fix, you can download it from the driver section of what ever laptop model you have, I have a dv7-6143cl (also from costco) This is a recent fix (June-Aug 11 depending on model). After you download the fix and run it, it will flash the BIOS and then reboot. Reboot the machine again and Then hit F10 while booting to go into BIOS setup, switch the Switchable Graphics section from DYNAMIC to FIXED. Then boot to your desktop, right click desktop, click Switch Configurable graphics, and you can select to have your dedicated card on all the time, or the integrated. You can also set to have the dedicated on all the time while plugged in and to auto switch to integrated on battery to save power. Hope this helps. I used GPUZ to verify card and it now shows up properly and with the right clock speeds, (it did not before). If you do not switch it to fixed from dynamic in BIOS settings, you won't be able to choose!

Student
renay0
Message 9 of 9 (3,884 Views)

. shut down ur computer... then start up.. manufacters screen esc... into bios setting graphics... change settings to fixed.. also most hp ftted with radeon and intel hd family the computer is automaticly set to switch graphics with plug in or out .anyway. BIOS SETTING graphics.. FIXED.. im not sure cant remember it may either ask you wich graphics card u want to use. intel or radeon select enter load rest of computer... right click home desktop switch graphics should be very diffrent now... unctick box.automaticly power save gpu
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation