Question

Student
zainuddin74
Message 1 of 12 (10,384 Views)

LCD crack from inside on HP mini

I have this HP mini and it is still under warranty. The LCD screen is crack from inside. It looks perfectly ok from outside when the power is off, no sign of crack or dent.  But once it power on, there is a crack starting at the bottom to the entire screen, and the display is totally out (only show white color and crack line with some kind of black dots).  I went to HP service center and the guy at the front desk said the warranty does not cover this kind of damage. And he quoted the repair/replacement cost for the LCD screen is RM1722. I was really shocked because the cost is higher than buying a new one, which is RM1699 (when I bought it last time)  (1USD=RM3.5).  Does anyone has the same problem as mine?

Do you think this kind of damage is not covered?

Tutor
christopher_jk
Message 2 of 12 (10,375 Views)

Re: LCD crack from inside on HP mini

Physical damage is never covered. There are several things that can cause a screen to "crack" from the inside. The two most common are pressure on the screen, a blunt blow to the screen or dropping the machine.

In other words, this doesn't just "happen" out of the blue, there had to have been some force involved. Hence why it is not covered under warranty.

Student
joemomma
Message 3 of 12 (10,355 Views)

I also have a cracked lcd screen and hp would not cover it under warranty for me either.  What is so bad about the situation is they want $400 to replace it.  That is absurd!  There is no way it should be this price because I only paid around $1000 for the laptop fully loaded with software, digital camera, and printer new.  I have found the screens online for $99 so you can see what a profit hp expects!!!  We had problems with this laptop ever since we purchased.  The wireless would be working and then it would quit.  We actually bought more software at hp's recommendation after they refused to give us a refund.  A repair tech had told us there was a software glitch but hp would not admit it.  Now as it turns out hp offers free repair on the wireless connection because of the software glitch!   What about the money we spent for the extra software?  All I can say is hp has got themselves free advertising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Student
sajidshaikh
Message 4 of 12 (9,576 Views)

zainuddin74 wrote:

I have this HP mini and it is still under warranty. The LCD screen is crack from inside. It looks perfectly ok from outside when the power is off, no sign of crack or dent.  But once it power on, there is a crack starting at the bottom to the entire screen, and the display is totally out (only show white color and crack line with some kind of black dots).  I went to HP service center and the guy at the front desk said the warranty does not cover this kind of damage. And he quoted the repair/replacement cost for the LCD screen is RM1722. I was really shocked because the cost is higher than buying a new one, which is RM1699 (when I bought it last time)  (1USD=RM3.5).  Does anyone has the same problem as mine?

Do you think this kind of damage is not covered?

I also have a similar situation in my laptop, its basically a product defect and HP is trying to tell me that its a customer induced effect, they are totally wrong

Honor Student
deaidre
Message 5 of 12 (9,231 Views)

I had the same problem and they are telling me the same thing. Computer is one month old!!!! I am above angry. What the heck??? I am contacting the FTC to report them and you should do the same.

Top Student
GoldCanyon8834
Message 6 of 12 (9,212 Views)

I too have this exact problem, how many consumers have to deal with the same problem across different product lines and yet no one at HP will admit it? I have had twenty Dell laptops that I take all over AZ to set up mini labs for my trainings and have never experienced this kind of problem. These laptops are 10 years old and still running like a top. Buying an HP product was my first mistake, but paying them to fix a product defect for almost the same amount of money that I paid for the laptop is ludicrous. I will never purchase an HP again, and when asked will tell my trainees exactly what I think of the HP warranty.

Top Student
MichaelMakar
Message 7 of 12 (8,248 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also had the same issue. At first they were trying to tell me that it was customer damage, not covered by the warranty. I escalated to a different case manager who admitted that this is a known issue caused by overheating of the screen (induced by closing the netbook cover when the laptop has been on for over an hour, or closing the cover while the netbook is on the bed). I told her that if this was the case, this is clearly a manufacturer defect, but she would not admit it, and would not fully cover the repair under the warranty.

Top Student
MichaelMakar
Message 8 of 12 (8,241 Views)

Yes, it does just happen due to overheating. It is a manufacturer defect.

Honor Student
consumer1
Message 9 of 12 (7,772 Views)

Same problem!!  used computer  went to bed. Next morning turned on the computer to find a crack inside the screen. No physical damage. Called Hp they say if  comsumer damage. NO  way . going to see who to contact on this issue have you had any luck?

Honor Student
consumer1
Message 10 of 12 (7,770 Views)

Same issue. I will also contact   FTC  BBB and everyone else I know

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation