Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

First, please check to see if there is a firmware update for the adapter:

Install the Wireless Display Adapter App.

To update firmware on your Wireless Display Adapter, go to the Windows Store and install the Wireless Display Adapter App. This app provides settings and firmware updates for the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/how-to/adapters/setup

If that fixes the problem, great! If not:

Is there any chance you could bring the Wireless Display Adapter from work home, and see if you get the same result - and vice versa? (Trying to rule out whether this is an issue with the adapter or the laptop.)

Thank you! Let me know if this helps, please.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

Can you tell me what kind of TV / device(s) you're attempting to connect to (brand, model)?

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

Hi there, I'm having a very similar issue to the person who posted the original question... May I please ask for your help?  I recently purchased my new HP Envy 17t-k200 and it came with Windows 8 installed.  I immediately upgraded it to the new Windows 10 OS and tried to project the screen to my 43" Vizio E43-C2 LCD TV by connecting it to my attached"Excelvan® 2015 Wireless Streaming Media Display Dongle" that I purchased from Amazon (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5NTAZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01).  I pressed the Windows key + P simultaneously to open the Project panel, selected 'Duplicate', then clicked 'Connect to a wireless display'. My laptop found my 'Dongle-91E01D'. I chose to connect to it and it showed "Connection in progress" on my TV screen. Then my laptop screen flickered a few times as if trying really hard to connect then after about 20 seconds or so my laptop says, "Something went wrong: Your display couldn't connect".  Now this Dongle works very well with both my HTC One M9 and Samsung Galaxy S6 android devices but I've never had a laptop to try it with until I purchased this new HP.  I've made sure that the device drivers are all up to date and that I have the most updated Windows and HP updates for my laptop.  Please tell me what's wrong here;

1.) Does Windows 10 support mirroring/Miracast capabilities or should I revert back to Windows 8 and try projecting then?

2) Is the particular Dongle I have not compatible with Windows 10 or 8?

3? Are only the Microsoft or Netgear Dongles compatible with Windows laptops?

Thanks in advance for your help...or anyone's help at this point! 🙂

Len

HP Recommended

Solution 7 of the Microsoft display adapters troubleshooting worked led me to the soltuion for me. The anti-virus was managing the firewall, so disabling the anti-virus (AVG Internet Network Security) allows the connection to work finally. 

HP Recommended

@curtgruber wrote:

The home device is still not working. It will show in my list of available adapters but won't connect. When I delete it and then readd it, it will sit and the progress bar will move slowly. The TV will show that it is connecting to my pc, then the TV will go back to the ready to accept state and my pc will continue to show progress. Eventually my pc will show an error that it couldn't connect.

I have spectre x360 convertible 13 (late 2016) model and have the exact same issue. I can't find any definite answer whether my laptop should be compatible or not with the MS wireless display adapter. The description of the issue as stated by curtgruber seems to confirm that the laptop is widi/miracast/wirelessdisplay compatible but there's some kind of connection issue that's not resolved. Has anyone resolved this yet or can definitively confirm that the laptop shouldn't and won't work with MS wireless display adapter?

HP Recommended
Was your issue resolved? I've just recently started having same issue with my HP Pavilion g7-2291nr Notebook PC
I know it's not my tv's, because in able to wireless display my Toshiba laptop and my cellphone to my tvs
HP Recommended
Not yet resolved. Supposedly the research team is trying to figure it out but I have not heard back yet.
HP Recommended
Bummer
HP Recommended

Same issue here, this setup worked up until about 1 mnth ago, until about the time of the Wndows Creator's update.

HP Spectre X360, Win 10 64, creator's update, Microsoft Wireless Display adapter (generation 1), AND a new one just purchased, display adapter Generation 2

HP Spectgre x360 connexts to ROKU 3600 and a 3810 (newest roku), usiing "connect to wireless display adapter".

HP Spectre x360 will NOT connect to the Microsoft Wireless display adapters .  It DID connect very well, for past two years, up until about 1 month ago.

Microsoft wireless display adapter is ABLE to be connectted to by a "SAmsung TabPro S" (Windows tablet), and by my android phones, to do do miracasting.

It seems that Microsoft and HP have created an incompatibility in some connection issues.

Any assistance with this is apreciated.

thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.