Question

Honor Student
Ruchan
Message 1 of 5 (4,554 Views)

Update to windows 8.1 Load MMdriver not responding

After I updated my windows 8 professional to windows 8.1, first the graphics drivers stopped working. So I downloaded the intel and amd graphics driver form hp support page. 

Now the intel graphics is running fine, but the amd graphics driver is not working. Everytime the laptop starts after 1-2 minutes "Load MMdriver application has stopped working" error comes which disables the highperformance ATI graphics.

Please help what can be done here to solve this issue.

I downloaded http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59936.exe which is dated 2012-11-26 but still is the only driver which actually installs, other lates drivers from the amd abruptly stops through install. Also it is recommended from hp support page for my laptop.

My laptop specs

HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC 2230ee

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Radeon (TM) HD 7670M

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Student
msaqer
Message 2 of 5 (4,373 Views)

Re: Update to windows 8.1 Load MMdriver not responding

same problem with me my labtop model is hp g6 2245sx

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 3 of 5 (4,238 Views)

Hey Ruchan, and msaqer,

To start off the troubleshooting, it is best to restore the original drivers that came with your system. Please follow the steps in the document 'Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)'. You will need to reinstall the graphics drivers, and the Intel Chipset drivers.

After the original drivers have been reinstalled, you will need to reinstall the updated drivers in a very specific order. First you will need to install the updated Chipset drivers. Install the 'Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver' first, and then restart your computer. Next will be the 'Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver'. Again after the installation, please restart the notebook.

Now once the Chipset drivers have been installed, you will need to install the graphics drivers. Again these need to be installed in a particular order. So first you will need to install the 'Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver'. Once more please restart your computer after installation. Now you can install the 'AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver'. Please restart you notebook one more time.

I have also included the document 'Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs'. This is just for reference, but please do read through as it may also help to resolve the issue.

Please let me know if you are still getting the same error message.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Student
raziel89
Message 4 of 5 (2,484 Views)

same thing 

HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Radeon (TM)  HD 7670M

Intel(R) hd 4000

Product number: C6S44EA#ABV

Student
Zappa57
Message 5 of 5 (1,105 Views)

I found this thread sometime ago as I have had the same problems installing the graphics.

HP Pavilion dv7-6b01tx

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 on board

AMD HD 6700M card

8Gb ram

17" 1920x1080 monitor

My issue is now the 'Load MM driver....' but it is deeper than that.

My laptop came with W7 preinstalled and I have since upgraded to W8.1 and got nothing but more problems.

At my last rebuild (I am up to double figures on complete rebuilds trying to fix this) I followed the specific order of installation as given here, chipset, mei etc, I even disabled windows automatic 'look for missing drivers option' so that it didn't install my graphics card itself.

Every time the onboard graphics installer tells me that my laptop doesn't meet the minimum requirements and exits. Eventually I found that doing a windows update at that point (again trying to avoid an auto install of the graphics card) would install the onboard device, then onto the graphics card. Going to Intels site didn't help. (Hope your following this).

This has been the best result to date, apart from the MM driver issue, which is not every time and the fact my screen stays blank after closing the lid (open and close a couple of times fixes that). That may give you the idea of just how hopeless this has been. It also stopped the regular BSOD's that I'd been getting, that's yet another issue.

The fact that I found the 'strict installation routine' on a forum and not on HP's site points to deeper problems.

During one rebuild I left all the drivers off and used the HP site to discover my machine (it did) and check for missing drivers, it came back that everything was up to date. I laughed like a drain at that one.

What has brought me here has been recent, impromptu, discussions with other people and because this issue is the most typical example of the 'HP disease' I could find. Those conversations were basically mocking me, or trying to, for ever buying a HP in the first place. I contended that I'd broken a lifetimes promise that I would never buy a HP, but this machine was about the only choice at the time that met my requirements. Don't get me wrong I don't regret buying it, when it works, well ok when the faults are bearable (error messages, drivers not loading, BSOD, weird shut downs), it is a really nice machine.

HP no doubt will take the view that they sold me a machine with W7 on it and it is now 18 months past warranty. That they are being 'nice' to provide support for another operating system. Not the best way to get returning customers and the simple fact that it really wasn't any better with W7, there was a time when the family knew this laptop by the nickname 'Bluescreen'.

I can't ever really be totally down on HP, I did make good money some 15 years ago going round fixing folks computer problems, without HP I would have gone broke very very quickly.

So there it is, reading the replies on this thread just tell me, don't waste your time mate, HP is simply HP and that will never change. When this machine finally goes belly up (most folks think I've doen well to get to 2.5 years use, I back up everyday) then I will return to that 'lifelong' promise that I broke and simply pay what it takes to get a proper machine with porper support made by proper computer people.

Ah, that feels better!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation