Question

Tutor
SRohit
Message 1 of 17 (6,475 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgrade video card

I am buying an HP Envy 14 beats notebook PC. Can I buy and put the video card AMD 6900M in the laptop. I went to the AMD webiste but I couldnt find a link where I can buy only the video card and not an laptop along with it. Please could you tell me the link where I can buy the video card ONLY, otherwiseI will have to but those other laptops with AMD 6900M in them.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 17 (6,466 Views)

Re: Upgrade video card

SRohit wrote:

I am buying an HP Envy 14 beats notebook PC. Can I buy and put the video card AMD 6900M in the laptop. I went to the AMD webiste but I couldnt find a link where I can buy only the video card and not an laptop along with it. Please could you tell me the link where I can buy the video card ONLY, otherwiseI will have to but those other laptops with AMD 6900M in them.

There is no BIOS support for  AMD 6900M video card. The onlny supported discrete video module is the 1GB DDR3 ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650. Installing the AMD 6900M is a no-go in the  HP Envy 14 beats notebook models.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up icon next to the reply button

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
SRohit
Message 3 of 17 (6,452 Views)

So is there ay way to upgrade the graphics card? And what is the pre-installed sound -card? Can we upgrade that sound-card?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 17 (6,438 Views)

Sorry. That is also a no go.

Generally speaking, notebook video and sound can't be upgraded. There are exceptions but your notebook is not one of them.

The ViDock is currently about the best way to do both. If you upgrade with a card that has an HDMI interface then the audio is also upgraded.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
SRohit
Message 5 of 17 (6,434 Views)

umm..... could you explain the last line...that  ViDock one...I never got that. :smileytongue: 

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 17 (6,424 Views)

SRohit wrote:

umm..... could you explain the last line...that  ViDock one...I never got that. :smileytongue: 

ViDock. is an interface that uses a full sized PCI Express x16 video card for a notebook. Take a look and read here at the website.

Best regards,
erico

Tutor
SRohit
Message 7 of 17 (6,400 Views)

Dear Erico,

I did some surfing on Google and discovered that ViDock has launched ViDock 3, 4 and 4 Plus in this website, that are compatible with Windows 7. I read the website and I could understand only this much that when you buy ViDock you get a box that has to be connected to the laptop. Then you install any Video Card....and the laptop senses it and uses that card too. That’s really great (if I understood the right thing).

But I have a doubt - In that ViDock box, we can put 'any' Video Card... .for example, there is AMD Radeon HD 6990 for desktops and then there is AMD Mobility Radeon 6xxx for laptops...so which one should I put in the ViDock- a graphic card for laptops, a graphic card for desktops or any graphic card??

If I understood anything wrong from the website...please rectify it and explain it in the simplest language :-)

S.Rohit

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 17 (6,327 Views)

SRohit wrote:

Dear Erico,

I did some surfing on Google and discovered that ViDock has launched ViDock 3, 4 and 4 Plus in this website, that are compatible with Windows 7. I read the website and I could understand only this much that when you buy ViDock you get a box that has to be connected to the laptop. Then you install any Video Card....and the laptop senses it and uses that card too. That’s really great (if I understood the right thing).

But I have a doubt - In that ViDock box, we can put 'any' Video Card... .for example, there is AMD Radeon HD 6990 for desktops and then there is AMD Mobility Radeon 6xxx for laptops...so which one should I put in the ViDock- a graphic card for laptops, a graphic card for desktops or any graphic card??

If I understood anything wrong from the website...please rectify it and explain it in the simplest language :-)

S.Rohit

A ViDock product uses desktop video cards only, not notebook discrete (mobile) video modules. Desktop PCI Express x16 video cards are far more powerful than notebook discrete (mobile) video modules.

Notebook discrete video modules are mini PCIe and will only fit in notebook PCs. 

Best regards,
erico

Tutor
SRohit
Message 9 of 17 (6,298 Views)

Thanks.....2 more questions:

1) Can I increase the RAM? Is there anything like ViDock to extend the RAM?

2) In laptop-screens, the image brightness, contrast, color, etc etc depend on the angle one is looking from. It is often irritating. Does HP Envy 14 beats have the same problem?

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 17 (6,291 Views)

[ Edited ]

SRohit wrote:

Thanks.....2 more questions:

1) Can I increase the RAM? Is there anything like ViDock to extend the RAM? How much RAM is installed?  The only way to increase the amount of RAM is to add physical RAM modules .  There is no solution like ViDock for RAM.

2) In laptop-screens, the image brightness, contrast, color, etc etc depend on the angle one is looking from. It is often irritating. Does HP Envy 14 beats have the same problem? with the 14.5" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display that the notebook has, that should be less of an issue than with a display with a non-LED backlighting. 

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation