Question

Student
HitATree
Message 1 of 11 (7,352 Views)

Windows 8.1-AMD Catalyst Control Center

Hello!

First of all I would like to start of by saying thank you Hp for an amazing product, I bought my Hp Envy m6 laptop in May and I have loved it ever since. I bought it as a gaming machine, and it did not disappoint me...until I decided to update to Windows 8.1.

I downloaded it from the app store last week to see what new features they added (was rather disappointed with how long it took especially for the lack of great features they added, however that is not your fault), after a day when I bought a new game from Steam (Arma Two) and I went to the Catalyst control center to set the performace to high I realized it had stopped working the message I got was:

"Catalyst Control Center cannot be started.

There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center"

This means a lot go my games are running rather bad at the moment as they are using a mixture of my intergrated Intel 4000 "graphics card" and my AMD Radaen HD 2GB Graphics card. Instead of just my AMD graphics card (the good one).

I tried looking for solutions to this problem e.g. A new download for Catalyst Control Center or an easy way to downgrade to windows 8 from windows 8.1 however I have been unsuccessful. The only method that seems possibly is to downgrade however that would involve uninstalling all my programs (Over 50 games from steam) and all my other programs. 

So the reason for this message is that I am looking for a solution to this problem, either an easy way to downgrade to windows 8 OR a way to get my Catalyst Control Center to work again  so I can change what graphics card is used when.

Thank you

-Conor

P.s. I love Hp's products and I have told all my friends to get them. This is window 8's fault not yours.

Top Student
saptarishi
Message 2 of 11 (7,291 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1-AMD Catalyst Control Center

Hi,

I too am facing similar problem.

I have updated my HP envy 6 1002tx from win 8 to win 8.1. All the drivers seem to be working fine except the one for graphics card.

The integrated intel card seems to be working fine, but the dedicated AMD does not seem to function properly.

The system is able to detect the AMD card, but the switchable graphics is not working. Whenever I try to configure switchable graphics, I get a popup saying "Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center".

I have re-installed the drivers provided by HP several times without any luck.

Really need to sort it out as graphics card was one of the reasons for buying this laptop :smileysad: :smileysad:

Thanks and regards,
Saptarishi
Honor Student
WIL993
Message 3 of 11 (7,268 Views)

I am having exactly the same issue.... its really frustrating and I have tried every combination of drivers etc I can think of and have search for ages for a solution but none seem to work!

I tried changing the bios settings to 'fixed' graphics so i can permanently have the AMD graphics in use however I do not appear to even have this  option.

if anyone has a solution it would be much appreciated

Top Student
saptarishi
Message 4 of 11 (7,224 Views)

Possible solution:

Hi Guys,

I just contacted HP support regarding this problem. They asked me to install the following file:

ccc2_install.exe

It was already present in my system in the following path:

"C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install"

This solved my problem. CCC is working fine now :smileyhappy:

Also, while installing, your desktop might go black and only active windows will seem to work. But, thats fine, just restart your system.

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Cheers...

Thanks and regards,
Saptarishi
Honor Student
WIL993
Message 5 of 11 (7,153 Views)

Thank you that worked absolutely perfect and now have switchable graphics back!!! 

Top Student
jolietbear
Message 6 of 11 (7,104 Views)

I'm HAVING SIMILAR ISSUES but can't find this exe file on my system where can I get it from?
Top Student
saptarishi
Message 7 of 11 (7,048 Views)

Hi Jolietbear,

The file was already present in my system in the location provided in my earlier post. Maybe you can try googling the file.

Thanks and regards,
Saptarishi
Student
Sujay123456789
Message 8 of 11 (5,121 Views)

I was update my laptop to windows 8 to 8.1 and after my instolation AMD Driver Autodetect does not open , what can i do for that?  please ANS 

Student
hieeee
Message 9 of 11 (3,611 Views)

catalyst control center cannot be started.there are currently no settings that can be configured using catalyst control center.

this message is shown.what to do?????????/

Student
humax9600
Message 10 of 11 (3,106 Views)

hi,all your games will  still be in steam so you wont lose anything, just reinstall windows.

pete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation