Question

Tutor
laurarami
Message 1 of 13 (12,864 Views)

dv9700 GPU Failure - 8600M GS Nvidia GPU

NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for G84s and G86s graphics processors.

Here is part of HP response:

Ramiro : To resolve the issue, I recommend to install the BIOS update and then install the display drivers on

LauraRami : So this is a known problem?

Ramiro : It is not a known problem Laura. But it happened to many people.

NOTE: BIOS update forces fan to run harder and longer to bandage the problem.

NOTE: HP lied saying it was not known problem.

My laptop is 2 months out of warranty.  HP sold defective product during point of sale.  HP should honor "ALL" laptops experiencing Nvidia issue.

Go to [Text Deleted] dot COMM (hp will strip link if I put link in this post) and if you really want to get angry Google "Nvidia Mobile Defect"

Intern
ofinigan
Message 2 of 13 (12,824 Views)

Re: dv9700 GPU Failure - 8600M GS Nvidia GPU

I will also be registering a complaint as this exact thing has happened to me.  Bad service and bad product.  I will be number one in explaining to people that HP is now a terrible waste of money.

Honor Student
laurarami2
Message 3 of 13 (12,802 Views)

[ Edited ]

Add name to database and contact authorities to make a difference.

I can not type full site or hp will strip.  just put it all togeather with no spaces.

<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 09-28-2009 03:21 PM
Top Student
digitalgroovy
Message 4 of 13 (11,339 Views)

[ Edited ]

Indeed, my dv9740us with 8600m GPU just quit too. GPU way too hot, and then the screen went black, never to be seen again, other than this sort of cool screen of light Northern Lights effect.

Oh, and I love the thread below, from tech support. We need to reenact it in video format and put it on youtube.

LauraRami : So this is a known problem?

Ramiro : It is not a known problem Laura. But it happened to many people.

<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 09-28-2009 03:22 PM
Intern
jimkola
Message 5 of 13 (11,331 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a similar conversation with the HP rep;

Rep:" There is no known defect on your model."

me: "But how do I know that if I buy a new laptop it won't fail the same way?"

Rep"The new boards have been redesigned to remedy this issue"

me:"Issue? I thought you just said there wasn't a known defect? Why did you feel compelled to "redesign" something if there was not a known problem?"

Rep:" That's correct-there's no known defect with your model"

And so on and so on..................

I hate it when people lie-because they're making the assumption that you are stupid and believe them. I'd almost feel better if they said, "Yeah, the unit kinda sucks, but HP isn't prepared to address the concerns beyond the terms of the warranty. Wanna speak to sales about your next unit? We'll flip you a generous coupon for $37.00  that you can apply to buying supplies from shopHP.com." Shipping and Handling extra

I think HP rep training involves advanced classes on merry-go-rounds, with extra credit in double speak.

Message Edited by jimkola on 09-28-2009 11:35 AM
Top Student
bdwilliams
Message 6 of 13 (11,327 Views)

[ Edited ]

WOW what sheer ridiculousness... LOOK how many people are having problems with this! HP needs to fix this NOW or it will come back and bite them in the ass, much, much harder.

Everyone google this: "Investigation of HP Pavillion Design Defects"

<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 09-28-2009 03:23 PM
Top Student
alaskangal
Message 7 of 13 (11,303 Views)

I also have the 9700 and just went to http://www.sfmslaw.com/pages/cases.php?id=300 to add my name to the lawsuit against HP for not fixing the problem of the video chip, hope everyone goes there.....
Honor Student
loluak
Message 8 of 13 (9,002 Views)

Hi everyone,

I also have this problem

I use HP Pavilion dv9500 with 8600M GS Nvidia GPU

What should I do?

Please someone help!!!

Tutor
WThesing
Message 9 of 13 (8,794 Views)

GO TO DV9700 THREAD FOR HELP!!!

Honor Student
sdgorrell
Message 10 of 13 (6,667 Views)

The GPU in my dv9700 failed at just short of the 3 year mark. I decided to try a motherboard replacement.(~$100 from eBay) instead of buying an equivalent new system (~$2000 from HP). In the process of replacing it I discovered a possible source of the problem. The issue is that the heatsink assembly comes in two pieces. There is the main unit that has the fan and cools the CPU, and a secondary unit that sits next to it and cools the GPU. They are separated by a small 1/8th inch gap, and over time dust and lint collect in that gap. When I pulled the fan I discovered that the GPU cooler was about 80% blocked! No wonder it failed.

Design flaw? Yes, but a subtle one that would only show up after extended in-field use. The real kicker is that cleaning it is extremely difficult. The system is build around the motherboard. It has to be completely disassembled to get fan out. One thing that might help is to try to suck it out through the exhaust vent with a vacuum. The fan is in the left-rear corner. The main exhaust for the CPU blows out the back. The exhaust for the GPU blows out to the left.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation