Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n031sg
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having the Pavilion 15-n031sg for more than 2 years meanwhile, since 3 days it's almost impossible to log on to Windows 10 (x64).

The reason is that both CTRL keys seem to be locked, which blocks any futher keystrokes.
Using the on-screen keyboard reveals that both left and right keys are marked in orange, means Windows assumes they are locked.

I tried disabling pinch zoom, uninstalling Synaptics touch pad software, reinstalling PS2 keyboard driver, updating to the latest 2016 BIOS, making sure that sticky keys is switched off... all in vain.

I also could reproduce that with external Keyboards, both USB and/or PS2 the problem is also there, so I doubt that is a hardware issue. At least it shows that it shouldn't be a dirty key or a fluid issue etc. Let me add here that I am treating my devices like a raw egg, means there was definitely nothing spilled into the keyboard.

The only means I found to work around that is starting the on-screen keyboard, click once at the right CTRL key and then click twice at the left one. That will make most keys working again, although the F-keys still won't work.

Since this issue is, according to the various posts on that issue, chasing HP notebooks since at least 4 years already:
What by all means is the solution please???

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@TaeBae

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the Ctrl key is being used, though, you aren't holding the button,

It looks like the key is stuck or being used while pressing these other keys.

since you've checked the keyboard and none of the keys are physically stuck,

(I understand you've attempted some of the below mentioned steps, but if done in the right order, the issue should be fixed).

please try the below steps:

1) Go to control panel. 
2) Go to "regional and language option" 
3) go to "language “tab 
4) Click on details. 
5) Select the default input language as English (United States) us 
6) Installed services in keyboard select the US, click Apply 

Restart the computer and that should fix the issue.

This could also be an issue with the sticky keys, so please turn it off using the below steps:

Disable Sticky or Filter Keys

If you didn’t click on the “Go to the Ease of Access Center” link, you can simply navigate in Control Panel to the Ease of Access center, and find the link for “Make the keyboard easier to use”.

Once you are there, you’ll want to make sure the boxes for “Turn on Sticky Keys” or “Turn on Filter Keys” are turned off—which simply means the feature isn’t active at the moment but doesn’t mean the annoying popup will go away.

For that, you’ll have to click on either “Set up Filter Keys” or “Set up Sticky Keys” (or both).

To fix the issue with the function (Fn)keys, follow the below steps:

Click the Start button, then click Run . 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by clicking here

For windows 10 drivers: Click here

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

unfortunately none of your recommendations helped me out.

First of all, as I stated in the first post I already ensured that Sticky Keys was turned off.

Second, uninstalling all additional keyboard languages (I had English US, German and Russian installed) and afterwards, making sure that only US English International was installed and the computer was restarted, the CRTL keys were still stuck in exactly the same manner than before.

Third, about the F-key issue, since I am on Windows 10 (Redstone) I cannot install the HP Hotkey Utility you linked me (HKServ.exe is indeed not present). Trying to install it I get an error message that for this OS the program would not be supported.

So I tried to use your second link, which turned out to install a very nasty bloatware named DriverToolkitInstaller.exe: you simply cannot download any of the drivers in there without paying for them!

Just for the record, I used the first download link out of the following 3, since the others are all for Windows 10 x86, while I am on 64 bit:

Description: HP Hotkey Device Driver Installer
File Version: 8.5
File Size: 2.33M
Supported OS: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Driver Version: 7.0.1.1
Release Date: 2010-02-24
File Size: 18.24K
Supported OS: Windows 10 32 bit, Windows 8.1 32bit, Windows 7 32bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows XP 32bit

Driver Version: 4.20.7
Release Date: 2008-04-15
File Size: 27.87M
Supported OS: Windows 10 32 bit, Windows 8.1 32bit, Windows 7 32bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows XP

Please let me know where is the original HP source for the F-key issue on Windows 10, and what else to try regarding my stuck CRTL keys?

EDIT: About the f-key issue I found it myself meanwhile, will give it a go and let you know if it helped:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_169839_1&swEnvOid=4192

HP Recommended

Update: The original HP hotkey device installer for Windows 10 x64 as I linked before does in fact not work with Windows 10 x64, at least not with Redstone anymore. During Setup it breaks with:

"This software is not supported on this system"

😞

So what now?

HP Recommended

Hi @TaeBae,

I read and reviewed the brilliant post and troubleshooting that was involved. If the recurrence of this issue is recent, please try a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started. That could possibly do the trick for you. System restore link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Hope this helps. Please keep me posted.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Since no restore points are configured on that machine that advice doesn't help me.

Again, I am wondering why HP cannot just provide the previously discussed and already available HP hotkey device installer for the latest edition of Windows 10 Redstone??
Maybe that would finally provide salvation.

HP Recommended

@TaeBae

Thank you for replying,

I understand the restore point isn't available and that you want to know about the drivers for Redstone,

It appears as though there are no updates as such available at this time,

we may need to wait for windows 10 Redstone compatible drivers.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.