Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello

HP EliteBook 840 G2

The indicator shows: Battery plugged in, charging

but really the battery not charging - bar doesn't move

Please help, what to do?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended
Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like your Notebook is not charging the Battery, We will surely assist you with this issue

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook

Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board

How to improve the life of a Battery:
1. It is not advisable to use the Notebook when the Power Adapter is connected

2. It is not advisable to keep the Power Adapter plugged in even after the Battery is fully charged

3. You need to let the battery drain completely before charging again

4. Power Plan should be set correctly for extended battery life

5. Please keep the Screen Brightness at lower level

6. Please turn OFF Wi-Fi Connection when not in use

7. Please remove the CD/DVD's from the Optical Drive when not in use

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03325217

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. However, I asked Google in advance and have done BIOS factory reset. It's not help me. I have a special case. I will emphasize again. The battery indicator shows that the battery is plugged in and chargingSo for Windows everything is OK. But actually the battery is not charging! I assume that the fuse blows which is responsible for supplying voltage to the battery. May be someone can advise how to check it

HP Recommended

Hi!

Have You Took The Battery Out Of There Turn The PC On Then Put The Battery Back In And Tried It?

Here Is The Manual

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04560057-1.pdf

Go To Page 53

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended

I've checked everything, took out the battery and did everything from this topic. But the problem is not solved. HP Support Assistant shows that the battery is OK if not connected the power cable. If I perform the test battery when the power cable is connected, then I get the error PLJE24-000000-MFGJLJ-C0CG03. I checked the battery on another laptop and it works. Probably I have a problem with a controller battery in the laptop.

HP Recommended

I Think That The Power Supply Is The Problem Here

Try To Plug In To A Different Outlet

HP Recommended
You can try charging your Notebook using a know good Power Adapter and see how it goes

Regards,
KNRK
I work for HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The power supply and the battery are absolutely OK because I've checked them on another laptop. The service center told me that they will change the motherboard(!). However, I think that would be enough to replace the fuse of battery charging. Thanks to everyone.

HP Recommended

KNRK,

I noticed that under the batterylife section of your post you had "You need to let the battery drain completely before charging again", I have read in many places and may be misinformed but Lithium batteries do not have the memory issue that Nickel batteries have and thus do not require the full discharge, And that Fully discharging a Lithium battery can cause the battery to deteriorate and lose the capability to hold a charge.

HP Recommended

I have followed all the instructions in the post edited by Oscar Fuentes on 04-21-2916, including installing the latest Biios and a new battery and the problem still exists.  I did notice that when I unplug the Power Adapter the icon shows the battery actually charging for about 30 seconds and then it stops charging although it still displays the heading "Plugged In, Charging".  Also, when running "Battery Check" without the Power Adapter plugged in the battery checks as OK.  When running "Battery Check" with the Power Adapter plugged in it shows the battery as defective.  Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.