Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi experts,

Can you tell me if it's possible to have one slot with 4GB DDR3 RAM and another with 8GB DDR3L RAM (same frequency)?

I've seen it working in my PC, but the DDR3 slot is with 1.5V and the other with 1.35V, so I removed the DDR3 and I'm only using the DDR3L memory, but it would be great to have 12 GB! 🙂

Whit best regards,

João Tiago Martins

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi all,

My DDR3L is a dual voltage RAM so it will support 1.35V or 1.5V.

From my investigation mixing DDR3 with DDR3L should not cause any problem. What should happen is that the dual voltage RAM will work at 1.5V instead of the low voltage value. But if anyone wants to have the RAM working at 1.35V then both RAMs should be DDR3L and the motherboard should accept DDR3 and DDR3L.

I don't know how the tool that I've used works(CPU-Z), because from what I've found in my research both voltages should be 1.5V and I'm seeing one at 1.35V and the other at 1.5V... but this could be a problem from the tool that is only checking the lowest voltage from DDR3L RAM instead of the real used voltage.

Thanks you all for the support, I will close this topic now and hope this may help someone in the future.

With best regards,
JT

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings for the day jtsmartins

Yes you can add another 8gb memory on the unit as the unit supports upto 16GB of memory on it.

You can use the part number 670034-001 which is an 8GB memory module which is supported for this unit.

Regards,

Zoan

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi @Zoan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry but I think my question wasn't that clear.

What I would like to know is if I can have, for example:

Slot 1:

DDR3 4GB 1600MHz - 1.5V

Slot 2:

DDR3L 8GB 1600MHz - 1.35V

I already started the PC with this config and that was when I've seen the voltage difference. So I would like to know if DDR3 and DDR3L can be used at the same time or if the board can't handle this config and this can destroy one of the memories (or any other component).

Thanks and regards,

JT

HP Recommended
Hi all,

My DDR3L is a dual voltage RAM so it will support 1.35V or 1.5V.

From my investigation mixing DDR3 with DDR3L should not cause any problem. What should happen is that the dual voltage RAM will work at 1.5V instead of the low voltage value. But if anyone wants to have the RAM working at 1.35V then both RAMs should be DDR3L and the motherboard should accept DDR3 and DDR3L.

I don't know how the tool that I've used works(CPU-Z), because from what I've found in my research both voltages should be 1.5V and I'm seeing one at 1.35V and the other at 1.5V... but this could be a problem from the tool that is only checking the lowest voltage from DDR3L RAM instead of the real used voltage.

Thanks you all for the support, I will close this topic now and hope this may help someone in the future.

With best regards,
JT
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.