Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 6550b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP ProBook 6550b and it currently has a Intel i5-460m and I know that the Intel Core i7-620M will work since it's on the choice of CPU I can get if I wanted a better notebook from this model but just wanted to make sure I can just replace it and it will work fine? I do have the latest BIOS and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit updates.

The CPU does look like it can be reaplced and also this is a business type notebook so I' am sure it will work. But I do want to know what others think and if they done upgrades on the ProBook like the 6550b.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HI.

Here I leave the comparison between the two, draw their conclusions, if we look at the speed d relog that is what matters, among other things, Significantly higher clock speed I7 -3.33GHz vs I5 -2.8 GHz in this sense is something significant, something else Is that in conjunction with the other hardware components you will not notice.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-620M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-460M

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
HP Recommended

@DallasPikachu wrote:

I have a HP ProBook 6550b and it currently has a Intel i5-460m and I know that the Intel Core i7-620M will work since it's on the choice of CPU I can get if I wanted a better notebook from this model but just wanted to make sure I can just replace it and it will work fine? I do have the latest BIOS and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit updates.

The CPU does look like it can be reaplced and also this is a business type notebook so I' am sure it will work. But I do want to know what others think and if they done upgrades on the ProBook like the 6550b.

Hi,

I have done an upgrade on a ProBook from a core i5 to i7 35W (both dual cores) but I don't think you will notice any difference in this one. There is only a 0.5Ghz difference in the turbo clock. If you want to speed the computer up go for a solid state drive. The hard drive is the slowest component in every single computer so people should start with this when considering a hardware upgrade.

ProBook 6550b supports even quad i7 core processors but it must have a dedicated VGA (ATI) on the motherboard. For what purpore are you doing the upgrade?

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.