Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have a HP ZBook 15 which is running Windows 10. While using it, the keyboard suddenly froze so I decided to restart it.

Upon restarting it, I encountered this error: 'The system has detected that a cooling fan is not working correctly'. It then said that proceeding to startup may cause damage to the laptop and that it is recommended to shut it off again, so I shut it off.

Then I decided to start the laptop again, and encountered the same error again. This time I proceeded to the startup of the laptop so I could backup important files, which took about 20 minutes, then I turned the laptop off again.

Then I decided to start up the laptop again to read the exact message of the error, however this time the error didn't show up. The next 4 times of restarting the laptop also didn't give an error.

Does this mean that the laptop cooling fan is working again? Is there any way I can check whether they work correctly besides listening to them? I'm asking this so I can be sure that I can use my laptop again without unknowingly causing damage to it due to overheating (if the cooling fans are still not working).

By the way, this all happened out of nowhere, there was no falling or water damage or anything before it.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I suggest using the HP PC Hardware diagnostics UEFI utility to check the systemboard for proper operation.  

Press the power button and then immediately begin tapping the F2 key to invoke the HP PC Hardware diagnostics UEFI utility.

The following images are just an example. YOu should click on system test in your case.

From your description, all should be ok.  

Sometimes a restart will effectively be a hard restart and resolve issues. If the system fan is working you should hear it whenever the notebook needs a boost in CPU or graphics cooling.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.