Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion X2 12-b020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

New to forums here but have been a regular reader –

My Pavilion X2 12-b020nr detachable laptop has been having a battery drain issue while shutdown over the past few months, and I've finally isolated it to the detachable dock. It'll usually drain 3-4%/day while shutdown and keyboard dock attached.

The battery does not drain (across 24h) while shutdown/detached or while the charger is plugged in.

I'd like to find out if anyone knows how to disable power to the dock while shutdown.

I promise that I am shutting down the computer and not hibernating, sleeping, etc.

Relevant details:

Windows 10 64-bit

BIOS F-16 (and unable to find any options in BIOS)

Fast boot IS disabled

HP Battery utility and diagnostics shows normal battery (other diagnostics normal as well)

Any thoughts? I've probed around the Device Manager and BIOS, but to no avail.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @cchu0188, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand the battery on your PC drains even when the laptop is turned off.

Don't worry I'd love to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

I have checked the records and found a service advisory, Please try the steps recommended below.

Once the computer has been powered on with an AC adapter, it exits shipping mode automatically. After this, the battery can drain to a critical level while in storage without AC power. If computers must be stored for long periods (e.g. over summer school break) use the following procedure to place the computer back into ship mode before storing:
Connect an AC adapter. 
Charge the battery to 80~90%. 
Shut the computer down. 
Press and hold the Windows key + Backspace key. 
While holding the Windows + Backspace keys, press the power button briefly (as you would to power the computer on). 
Once you see the POST screen the notebook should be in ship mode and the AC adapter can be unplugged. 
Unplug the AC adapter; The notebook may power off immediately or continue booting to windows. If it boots to windows simply shut it down manually. 
Try powering on the system on battery power. It will either do nothing or turn on and immediately turn itself off and enter ship mode.
IMPORTANT: For very long term storage, HP recommends checking computers every 3 months to check the battery charge level. If battery charge has fallen below 50%, charge them back up to 80~90% and repeat the procedure to put them back into ship mode.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @MrRobot – thanks for the reply.

I don't think this solution is appropriate for me. I understand it might work for long-term storage, but I want to prevent my dock from draining the battery in a 24hr period of shutdown. I am already able to attain this by keeping the keyboard dock removed, but I'd like to be able to keep it attached so that the screen is not exposed while it is in my backpack.

My question is how do I keep the dock from draining the battery?

HP Recommended

@cchu0188, It's great to hear from you again.

Thanks for your quick response and time.

As you mentioned the battery drains even when the PC shut down.

I found a service advisory according to the advisory the battery drains completely within 5 to 6 hours while the computer is powered off. When this occurs, the computer cannot be started on battery power and must it be connected to AC power to start.

To fix the issue please update the BIOS and Graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Please find the link to update BIOS.

Link to update the graphics drivers.

Please update the drivers and check if the issue persists.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No luck. I bought SquareTrade with this and am going to mail it in.

Thanks for the help. I don't think it's something that can be resolved over this forum.

HP Recommended

@cchu0188, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

What is the windows 10 version you are running on your PC?

I would suggest you try one last step try updating Cumulative Windows update (KB3176493) and check if it helps.

Please find the link to update windows.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, I would suggest try performing a recovery using recovery discs.

If you don't have a set of recovery discs, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.