Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17t-ab000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I want to install an M.2 SSD in my new Pavilion laptop but I just want to be sure this will work.

My laptop part no. is V2Z44AV - HP Pavilion 17t-ab000 CTO (ENERGY STAR)

It doesn't have a touchscreen.

I want to install: 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847110-004

This part is listed in the laptop's service manual.

When I bought the laptop from the HP store, I was only given the option of the 128GB SSD which was not enough for my needs, so I went with the 1TB spinner. This is why I'm not 100% sure that the 512GB is compatible.

I disassembled the laptop and I do have a free M.2 slot.

I just want to be sure this will work and that it will use the full four lanes of the PCIe 3.0 bus. Otherwise I'll look at a lower-cost upgrade.

Thanks for your time!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
I've heard that the M.2 slot is disabled in the BIOS if the laptop is not purchased with an M.2 drive from HP. Is this true? If so, how can I enable it? I don't see an option in the BIOS.
HP Recommended

Can confirm that F.09 Rev. A BIOS update makes the M.2 slot work.

Anyone know if a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive will work in this at full speed?

HP Recommended

Q: Does this laptop support Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD?
A: Yes, but you may need to update your BIOS. Version F.09 Rev. A is required to see the drive if you purchased the laptop without the M.2 SSD. The fix in revision A is not published, but it's there.

Q: Anything special I need to do?
A: It's recommended to use Samsung's NVMe driver from their website for optimal performance. 

Q: Does this laptop support PCIe 3.0 x4?
A: Yes, and it's a shame it's not well-documented. Fire up Samsung Magician software and the 950 Pro will show the following:

-Link Speed current 8Gbps, Max 8Gbps

-Link Width current x4, Max x4

-Bandwidth Current 32Gbps, Max 32Gbps

Q: What kind of performance can I get?
A: You won't get advertised read speeds with this laptop, but the write speeds are on par with what's on the package. Note the queue depth in this benchmark:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q=512,T= 4) : 1633.004 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q=512,T= 4) : 1512.064 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q=512,T= 4) : 1342.288 MB/s [327707.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q=512,T= 4) : 243.635 MB/s [ 59481.2 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1388.891 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 549.640 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 53.697 MB/s [ 13109.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 174.507 MB/s [ 42604.2 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [C: 9.9% (45.6/459.4 GiB)] (x3) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/08/21 23:34:03

HP Recommended

If we have a PCIE 3.0 X4 M.2 NVME slot, what is preventing us from getting the READ speeds that the drive is capable of?

I have a New HP Omen 17 and just upgraded the SSD that came with it the Samsung PM951 to a SM961 512GB, write speeds seem about correct but read speeds are "STUCK" AT 1700mbs. Cannot figured this out and thought I may have gotten a bad drive.

Any help would be great.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion 17t  ab000-CTO.  I purchased it with the touchscreen, 128 SSD and a 1TB HDD.  I want to upgrade to a larger SSD.  

1.  The HP service manual for this model states that my SSD is a 128GB M.2 SATA-3 Value PA.  Which Samsung EVO SSD (500 GB - 1 TB) works for for my rig.? 

2. Will I lose the use of the touchscreen? 

3.  How do you remove the base enclosure to access the SSD?  I've followed the instructions for removing  thirteen screws from the bottom of the laptop:  four screws near the front; seven screws in the battery compartment and sides and two screws in the back corners.  I figure you must 'pry' the base cover from the keyboard but where do you start and what precautions must you take other than being careful not to use too much force to separate the two pieces.  Anyone have a good video showing how?  

I'm a novice but not afraid to try anything.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Larry

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.