Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 15-BC202nt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi,

I just bought my pc but 3 days after, when ı installed my first game i noticed this issue. The problem is, when i plug in my AC adaptor, my games fps was dropping severely. If i plug out, fps jumps to 60 and everything is normal. Then i noticed in the task manager performance tab that when i plug in, cpu speed drops down to 0,77Ghz. Plug out and 2+Ghz stable. I tried every power settings from power options but no good. All the drivers are up to date and bios version is latest also.

Did i just bought a faulty notebook for 1000$?
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ufkonovic

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the FPS reduces when the adapter is connected to the PC, however, it works well without the adapter,

I appreciate that you've attempted the steps mentioned and I'll be more than glad to help you out:

right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

For more assistance, please check a similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here  
(Though the header is different the steps will help get you a fix).

Keep me posted,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Riddle_Decipher,

You just looked at the fps section that ı mentioned. I already did those steps you proposed, it didnt make any difference at all. And also ı dont think its anything to do with graphic card settings. Its about the CPU. Like i said, when i plug in my cord, my Cpu speed drops to 0.77Ghz and stays there no matter what i do. Unless i plug it out. Then everything works fine, cpu goes up to 3+ghz with performance power settings and 2+Ghz with balanced etc. Plug in, and drops to 0.77 again. Fps drop is also due to that. I am considering now that its an hardware issue.
HP Recommended

@Ufkonovic

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response Smiley Wink 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Correct me If I'm wrong, however, You haven't mentioned which of the steps you've completed considering I had attached a link as well,

I would request you to elaborate, also to let you know I haven't overlooked any of the issues, the reason I sent these steps are because It has resolved these issues previously.

I recommend you try with an alternate power adapter, possibly a higher watt than the one you have and it should work.

Keep me posted for further assistance Smiley Wink

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@Riddle_Decipher

Sorry if my words happened to look a little stiff 😃 Thats because i just bought this 1 week ago and i am overwhelming with these problems. I also appreciate your time and help.

To be clear, i will write down the steps again(maybe not in the exact order) that i did as much as i remember.

-changing power settings, both pre-built profiles and some advanced tweakings
-tried almost everything on nvidia control center
-tried different wall sockets
-flashed 3 different bios versions
-fresh installation of windows 2 times
-different graphic card drivers (some old ones and latest ones)
-system diagnostics with uefi (everything was looking ok)

And lastly today i went to the HP service close to my neighborhood and had my adaptor checked. They said that the adaptor is fine, nothing is wrong with it.

Thats all o can think of now. Thank you again 🙂
HP Recommended

@Ufkonovic

Thank you for replying,

I must say that's quite a lot of steps you've done,

That said, I understand the adapter is okay, however, I wanted to know if you checked with 120w adapter if you have 90w, if the adapter isn't supplying the amount of consumption the computer requires it could lead to such issues.

Please try with one such adapter and keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@Riddle_Decipher

I checked the voltage and current of my adaptor if it matches with my laptop and it is. Its the original adaptor after all. And its 150w. I dont know if i can find a more powerful adaptor then that at this moment. I think i wouldnt have to also? Isnt that like hp gave this adaptor with this laptop so it can easily supply?
HP Recommended

@Ufkonovic

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

You are right about that, 150W is quite sufficient, that said, I recommend you use the computer without games for a day or two and check if the issue persists while playing videos offline or online.

I must also let you know that this PC isn't designed for gaming as are the Omen series of HP Laptops and playing HD games may cause the PC to overheat leading to other issues within the PC.

Let me know how it works with standard features.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@Riddle_Decipher

Thank you for quick answers.

I will try those. I know its not a gaming laptop but i think gtx1050 and i5 7300hq must handle a lot of games easily. And i am always checking the temperatures, neighter cpu nor gpu exceeded 60C degrees which is quite cool i think. You are talking about thermal throttling but that can not be the issue.

Thank you again for your assistance.
HP Recommended

@Ufkonovic

Thank you for replying,

You are right about the video cards the i5 processor handling certain HD games but I wouldn't say all of them easily, besides, I'm sure you've been maintaining it well and with all due respect, I'm only trying to identify the cause of your concern, the only other thing you can do is test the adapter using the HP diagnostic tool and reply back with the results: Click here for the details.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.