Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

I have HP ProBook 440 G3 (X0N42EA) with Windows 8.1 x64 installed on M.2 SSD 256 GB TLC (SanDisk X400 if it is important), which is installed in my notebook from the factory. Win 8.1 was upgraded from Win 7, which was installed from the factory also.

This model has both M.2 and SATA sockets. So in my case I have a free SATA socket. I want to upgrade notebook's storage volume adding a 2.5 512 GB SSD (SanDisk X400 also, if it is important also). I insert new SSD, start the PC and get an error message, that boot device not found and I have to install an operating system.

OK. I set up in the BIOS (UEFI interface actually) UEFI boot order: 1st - USB; 2nd - M.2; 3rd - SATA. And for legacy boot order I have only two options, which are also set up respectively: 1st - USB; 2nd - M.2. New SATA SSD volume even doesn't display in legacy boot order options. I save changes and reboot PC and have same situation, same message.

I try different ways: checking only UEFI boot order, only legacy boot order, checking both of it - no results. Even when I choose M.2 directly for boot via F9 button - no changes.

When I unmount new SSD from notebook, PC starts normally, everything is OK.

Both M.2 and SATA SSD are MBR partitions, if it is important.

Does anybody know how to mount SSD into SATA socket and make PC boot system from M.2 SSD?

Thanks in advance!

harddisk3f0_sod.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I got a similar problem, but my laptop was the opposite of yours, with only a 2.5 hdd and a free M.2 port.
When I upgraded it with a M.2 ssd, everything was fine, but after installing the OS on my new SSD, I was unable to boot from it. It seems that the bios does not let you boot from the m.2 drive if the sata port is used.

I suppose that you can boot fine as me if the windows loader is installed in the 2.5 SSD instead of the M.2.

You can try to install ubuntu (in UEFI mode) in a small partition of the 2.5 drive and maybe it will let you load the old OS from the M.2 drive using grub.

You can also try to fix it by cloning the m.2 drive in the sata one, and let it handle the windows loader.

If none of this works you can try booting from the windows 8.1 dvd and see what the "boot fix tool" can do.

HP Recommended

Which model of HDD and M.2 SSD do you have? Becuse it seems that this problem occurs only with several spcial models. For example, I found a note, where user described same problem with SanDisk M.2 SSD and SanDisk SATA SSD, but when he tried ti use Samsung SATA SSD - everythinf worked fine. Strange, but it is a fact. As you see I have both SanDisk SSDs and I don't exclude that if I try another SSD I will not have this problem. Later I will check it. 

The focus is I want ot use M.2 for the system and SATA SSD for data storage. I will definitely not to clone M.2 to SATA and use SATA for system boot. I will not even try if it works. 

I already tried Windows 8.1 bootable USB and "Boot fix tool" didn't get any result because it said that disk where Windows is installed is blocked. Hah.

I think you are right. BIOS doesn't let boot from M.2 when SATA is used. Since there are no any information about it in any documentation for this notebook, HP has to fix it, otherway it is a reason for claim from my side. I will write them about this issue and ask them to make an update for BIOS, where this problem has to be fixed, or they have reasonably explain why it can't be fixed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.