Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If you get infamous error when updating HP Portables (laptops/notebooks/ netbooks) BIOS within Windows:

"SYSTEM DOES NOT CONTAIN THE NECESSARY WMI SUPPORT FOR THIS VERSION OF HPQFLASH":

--------

I am posting a solution found for own business laptop (HP 8540W & 8760W) so WebSearch engines index/register it in a few days - future sufferers come here and get a SOLUTION, finally.  Disreagrd previous "experts" advises, they don't work 100% & pity on TechSupport folks who get HP paychecks yet don't know products their co. designs/manufactures (on deep Technical level):

Below is a SOLUTION (WORKING) !

Go into Services (Run "services.msc" or get there thru ControlPanel-->AdminTools-->), find following 2 services ==> make sure they're running, chances are they're NOT (as in my case I keep them disabled unless need running):
1) "HP Software Framework"
2) "HP Service" [no typo - a real plain name]

If not running, set Properties-->Manual and click "Start", make sure both are running.

Rerun BIOS updater, choose option for "Within Windows" or something to that effect (using HPQ/ROMpaq updater), rather than "create USB BootDisk on Key", this time it should work without the hassle of a BootDisk creation.
Should work from within Windows environment.

Notes:
a) Likely only one (1) service is responsible - namely "HP Software Framework" for HPQ Updater to fail, but doesn't hurt to reenable/restart both services.
I in fact am responding to other customers who elect to Update BIOS within Windows, perhaps oldfashioned but to me Boot Updater is more natural & always works regardless of WMI Support.
b) After done, don't forget:

*) Recheck BIOS settings - update may've added new and/or changed old, so rescan tobe sure.

**) Go BACK into Windows-->Services.msc & redisable both aforementioned Services if were originally disabled; or you're a computer Pro, you know what you're doing & like me keep all HP services disabled.  The ones we got on EliteBook 8760W are pests consuming system resources, you just enable "Software Framework" when occasional issues emerge with HP softupdate (typically no issues) & redisable after use, rest of services are bloatware - some attempt to overrun Windows Wireless console, some seekout HP Networked printers (Ethernet, Wireless, but not USB), some do this & that - I study/know which one does what and decided to disable all. This is called a "minimalist" philosophy & turns your machine into a fast beast, I recently sold a very obsolete 4-year laptop which however handles 3DMCAD & complex designs/simulations, better new machines out fo a store, as new machines are loaded w/bloatware chocking down resources.
BUT nobody is requiring you to disable anything though.
The solution merely states the fact:

These 2 (or 1) services when not running halt BIOS Update "within Windows" (you can still run "BootDisk option", however, if preferred).
Simply restartung them solves your problem.  Usually 🙂

Ya'll have a good day and enjoy!

===========

BELOW ARE IMPORTANT WARNINGS:
1) IF YOUR BIOS UPDATE STILL FAILS, SOME OTHER PIECE IN WMI SUPPORT IS MISSING - IN MY CASE WAS THESE 2 SERVICES, BUT THERE'S REMOTE POSSIBILITY SOMETHING ELSE MIGHT BLOCK UPDATER.  DON'T WASTE TIME & CHOOSE "USB/BootDisk" options instead
2) Once BIOS updater does its job, will ask to auto-restart - let it go on & complete, it will self-shutdown (click "Next" to skip 60-second timer), then do NOT turn it on manually!, wait - it'll turn on by itself in 15 seconds, let it boot into Windows, you're done!
3) WARNING: close other apps before proceeding, be 100% sure your ACpower won't be interrupted or better yet - make sure battery is in/charged (so if ACpower accidentally disconnects, you're autoswitched onto battery) b/c power loss may result in severe damage to internal hardware.  In the old days it'd result in fatal damage, these days powerloss would still result in a major repair (ROM chip corruption).

So to summarize: those 2 services I specified, are often responsible for whether HPQ/ROMpaq will or won't run.
Other causes possible, but I've not witnessed; and if so - choose BootDisk option.

===

Stan M. Starinski, MSEE.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Thank you for the post.  This helped me.  I would also like to add that if you decide to uninstall all the HP junk that's preloaded, you'll also run into this issue and will have to do BIOS updates via the DOS Flash utility.  So for all you IT houses dealing with HP, do a BIOS update FIRST before uninstalling all that stuff.  Lesson hard learned.

HP Recommended

This also helped me .

I started this two services (HP Service and HP Software Framework Service) and I could upgrade my Probook 6450b bios.

Thank you,

Yacov

HP Recommended

Thanks it really worked 🙂

HP Recommended

I have tried both ways - running "services.msc" and using the control Panel>AdminTools> and in both cases I was totally unable to find anything close to HP Software Framework or HP Services.  Now what do I do???  I am desperate to get my corrupted BIOS back up and running and am afraid to shut computer down.

I am running an HP ProBook 4710s with XP Pro, SP3.  It has Energy Star impirinted on the keyboard lower right.

PLEASE email help directly to me at [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Hello Ceramics.

Your ProBook is an Enterprise model.  It would be a good idea to also post your question to the HP Business Boards as those forums deal specifically with that kind of product.  Here is a link.

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I found that the HP Protect Tools were causing the problem. I did however have to update to the most recent version to uninstall the HP Security Suite. After that, the error has been resolved.

Updating can be done with the installed HP support assistant software.

HP Recommended

For those that need the software framework service, you can download it here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_91931_1&swEnvOid=4058

HP Recommended

Long story short. You need to download;

SP58776.exe for Hp Software Framework Service

SP45248.exe for Hp Service (It's basically the HDD fall sensor. HPQ0004, 0007, 6004, 6007 )

Booom. 🙂

notice: these for fixing brightness issue on 6735s. You need to update the bios in order to control the brightness keys FN F7 and FN F8. The controls don't work if yoour bios is old even if you have hp quicklaunch hotkey drivers.

HP Recommended

I didn't have "HP Support Solutions Framework Service" until I installed HP Support Assistant.

The disabled service I had to start was "hpqwmiex", which is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqWmiEx.exe"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.