Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I got my HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition (Non-touch edition) yesterday. I am planning to upgrade the Hard disk to a SSD.

This question might already be asked by some one before, but I am not able to find the related post / right answer for this model. 

My Configuration:

• Windows 8.1 64
  • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor
  • Intel® HD Graphics
  • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
  • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
  • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
  • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
  • No Additional Office Software
  • Security Software Trial
  • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
  • No Internal DVD or CD Drive
  • Standard Keyboard
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
  • 802.11b/g/n 2x2 WLAN and Bluetooth® [2x2]

I was said that, i can only install either a 256GB / 512 GB SSD on this laptop. But i am seeing that there are some issues in installing the 256GB/512GB SSD's on this laptop and success with 240GB etc..

Can you please let me know some details on what is the right SSD size I can upgrade to (from small size to large)?

Also, Observed that there are so many issues in installing/cloning the OS on to the new SSD. (So many said that, the recovery media either using CD/DVD/USB is not working). Few were succeded with Acrons Cloning software and some other free tools.

Is that really difficult to clone my OS from my hard drive to the new SSD and use it, Also, there is no CD/DVD drive where i can use for cloing using any third party softwares.

Can you please let me know the right process to clone my hard drive on to the SSD and use it.

Also, can you please suggest me any best SSD for this model.

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Can some one please help me on this.

HP Recommended

Hi vd129812,

Thank you for you query.  I will do my best to assist you.

I understand you would like to install a SSD in your computer. Here is the HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC and HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please see page 23, item 22, for a list of HDD for your system.  Here is some documentation to assist you with the installation. About Solid State Hard Drives,and How to Install an SSD (Solid State Drive).  Here is a link to a PC magazine article on  How to Clone a Hard Drive.

Here is a link to Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 😎 . You are only allowed to create recovery material once.  I hope I have helped.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1,

I am attempting to do the same with my m7 and am having problems with it.  I posted a similar post at the same time as vd129812 did.

I have cloned many times to SSD drives with Windows 7 using third party software with much success.  However, the same does not seem to be true with Windows 8 and the HP computers.

Much of the instructions you have included are for Windows 7 and not for Windows 8.  Also, the HP Recovery Manager installed on the Win 8 machine will not create the Recovery drive on a USB drive.  However, there is another set of instructions on the HP support site that tells one to use Win8's recovery disk generator.  That one will create the recovery disk but I couldn't get it to work with the new HP computer and an SSD drive.

Now, I am not meaning to hijack vd129812's post, but rather ask the question, are there any specific instructions relating to cloning new HP factory HDD with Win8 to an SSD drive for HP's computers specifically?  Is there anything that can explain explicit BIOS settings and required firmware versions for these new systems?  I think more details are needed for there to be success.

-Dan

HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you read the document on "About Solid State Hard Drives" there is an explanation of a firmware update for the SSD drives. Here are links to  a couple of third party articles, that may assist you. (from eightforums.com). How to Install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 using the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface" (UEFI)  and How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot in UEFI

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks Dan, I would like to hear the opinions who is already facing this issue as well. thanks for bringing that up. Feel free to add any points/issues/suggestions if you got success/failures.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Sparkles, I will try to check those links and videos before starting on actual upgrade. Just want to make sure I am not stuck up in middle of upgrade.

HP Recommended

I have ordered HP-Envy 15T and waiting to be delivered. I have plans to upgrade my HDD to SSD as well and will be receiving at the same time as my laptop.

Sparkles/vd129812, kindly share the details or steps if you are able to upgrade the HDD to SSD.

Thanks 

HP Envy 15t-j100

Windows 8.1 Professional 64

1TB 5400 HDD

8GB RAM

no mSSD

HP Recommended

Hi urgobi,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you have purchased a HP Envy 15t-j100 Quad Edition with no Mssd. Here is the user guide for your notebook.  HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC and HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide  Please note page 23 item 23 for a  list of recommended Hard Drives.  You will notice the largest SSD is 512 GB and you currently have a 1 TB drive. Also please note that you must have an Intel processor.

Here are links to :

About Solid State Hard Drives

About Solid State Hard Drives

SSD Installation: Step by Step

SSD FAQ

I hope you find the links informative.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I finally had success moving to an SSD when I used the EaseUS software Partition Master Pro, the professional version, not the free version.  It was able to make a clone onto an Intel 320 GB hard disk drive.  EaseUS does offer a trial with that software so you can try it out.

I tried a lot of cloning software and a lot of upgrading including the BIOS, firmware, Intel updates, etc. Nothing seemed to work.  I tried multiple cloning applications including Acronis, Intel Data Migration, and AEOMI but did not have success with those.

Most importantly, the recovery software from HP will only work with the original HDD (or an exact replacement) so it is not usable with a new drive, especially an SSD.  This information came directly from HP tech support after numerous fails.  So don't bother trying to build a new drive.  I tried to get a Win 8 disk from Microsoft but they say it is HP's responsibility to provide.  HP will let you purchase recovery DVDs which I did but have not tried to use them yet.

So cloning with EaseUS Partition Master Pro was my solution. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.