Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am going to add a SSD to my Zbook.

Ideally, I would like to add a Crucial M550 512GB SSD in the mSATA slot and keep the hard drive where it is for music and videos. I would really like to add a Blu Ray writer in the optical bay so I dont want to move the hard drive there.

Can I use the mSATA slot for running the OS and programs? Or is it designed for hard drive caching only? If I can run programs from the mSATA slot, will it run slower than if I had it installed in the SATA III slot?

Thanks much! 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Firstly the " Crucial M550 512GB SSD" won't fit physically. Secondly please read the following discussions:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/set-msata-as-boot-drive-in-bios/td-p/281...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/install-msata-ssd-tutorial

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help... I meant the Crucial M550 512GB mSATA. Isn't mSATA only available in one form factor? I basically want to install the fastest mSATA that I can get for the price. This looks to fir the bill.  Id gladly accept any recommendations.  

Will the boot time performance suffer by using the mSATA slot and hard drive (For Data as mentioned) vs. just having an SSD in the SATA III Slot?

Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

It looks like a long tedious process. In your opinion, would I just be better off (Simpler and maybe faster) Installing an SSD in the SATA III Slot and removing the optical drive to put a HDD there? I'm a construction manager / student and not much an IT professional. I dont want to over complicate things and be on here asking questions all the time..lol. I want to keep it simple. 

I dont use an optical drive all that much. Maybe Ill just buy an external Blu ray writer. I need to buy a blu ray writer anyways. My laptop only has a dvd burner.

Thanks again! 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, it's much simpler that way. Crucial has bigger (capacity) SSD's now if you need more room for data. I'm using a Crucial 960GB SSD on one of my test machines to test Windows 10 Preview. I don't think I need more than 120GB for any laptop because I store all my data on external HDD's (main & backup). Much safer that way.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
I went ahead and ordered the Samsung Pro 850 ssd in 512MB. I only use 83mb on my current laptop. I plan on adding CAD software so it'll mean I'll be using some more. 512 is enough. I'm curious though on your tactic using external hard drives. I never used one. I'm wondering why people or yourself use them... Besides needing extra storage. You mentions it being "safer". How so? Maybe I should adopt a new practice with my data. All I save as data are resumes, homework, family photos, business correspondence (doctor bills, etc.). Maybe I back up or transfer my docs once a month or whatever. I don't have a good back up protocol. I lost a hard drive and consequently family photos once. That's why I went with an SSD this time around. Supposed to be safer. Maybe and external ssd for backup would be the "Cats Meow" for me. I'm open to and greatly appreciate suggestions. Thanks!
HP Recommended

I know this thread is dated, but I am wanting to do the same and find an obvious problem.  The Zbook SSD slot is designed with a hold down screw in the middle of the card, while the device you ordered has two screw holed at the top corners.  So how do you make this work?  Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.