Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
DV6-7300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed a second SSD in the optical bay of my DV6-7300. I am getting terrible performance from the drive.  When copying a 5GB file from my main SSD to the optical bay SSD, it starts at a reasonable speed but then quickly drop down to a crawl (going between 5MB/s and 20MB/s) as you can see below:

ssdcopy.JPG

The strange thing is running a CrystalDiskMark benchmark, it gives better (although not amazing) results:

crystaldiskmark.JPG

Is this a limitation of my laptop's SSD controller, or is there some change of configuration that will improve performance? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

For quite a while I have been advising people not to put an SSD in an otical drive caddy. Why? Because the SATA interface for an optical drive does not need to be anything faster than SATA-I so that is generally what you find. A hard drive/ssd in the optical drive bay will run slow so the only thing it is good for is just mass storage. Video will stream from it but it will not be suitable for operations which require fast disk access like video editing or CAD work, Code assembly, etc. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer, I did suspect something like that. However that doesn't explain why the benchmarks are so different to the real world write speeds. Any ideas about that?

HP Recommended

Not really and the pattern (sine wave) is odd, too. The SATA-I explains slow, but can't account for the variation in speed. Are you transferring .jpg files? Try moving a single large file like a video. In any event. I would not have the SSD in the optical bay. It is a waste of its speed potential. 

HP Recommended

I specifically chose a large single video file to test - that is what the screenshot above is showing.

HP Recommended

Sorry to be late to the party. Did you get the same results (gulping) copying from the 2nd SSD (in the optical bay) to your primary SSD?

The sine-ish wave can be the result of a buffer filling and the pause for the emptying.

Going from the optical bay should provide a stable write speed limited by the adapter to the optical bay.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Can we see in the doc what adapter is used?

Thank you.

HP Recommended
I scrapped the adapter in the end just bought a bigger SSD.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.