Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a pavilion g4 hand-me-down notebook from my son and he can't remember which girlfriends name he used for the administrator password.....

It doesn't supply me with a code after trying 3 times, just a password hint or the option to reset password. Reset password requires a password reset disk....which I also do not have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Becky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Becky,

There are Two options available.

1.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ).  They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2.  Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn ( Note: you may wish to de-select the additionalsoftware offerings during the installation of ImgBurn ) to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  The Windows Image source is Digital River.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi Becky,

If the machine is running Windows 8 or 8.1, see the Microsoft page on the following link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/forgot-windows-password

Note:  If this is a Local Account, try the free application Here.

If the machine is running Windows 7, Vista etc, try the following.

Using another PC, download the application on the following link and save it to your Downloads folder.

PC Login Now

When the download has completed, open your Downloads folder and double-click the installer - this will result in another file appearing which is the disc image ( .ISO ) that you need to burn to a blank CD.

You will now need to use an application such as ImgBurn to burn this ISO correctly to a blank CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.

When the disc has been created, shutdown the PC you can't log-in on, tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to access the Start-up Menu, insert the CD, select Boot Options ( usually f9 ), use the arrow keys to select the CD/DVD drive and hit enter - you may also have to 'Press any key' to boot from the CD if asked.

Follow the instructions on the guide Here to remove the current password.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Is it possible to use a usb flash drive instead of a disk?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The first utility ( on the link below ) can be created on a usb flash drive and will work for all versions of Windows.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I was able to create the disk and run it in my sons laptop but after running through a few screens it ends with

BusyBox v1.1.3 Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for alist of built-in commands.

/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off

/newroot#

I typed in 'help' and got a list of words but not sure which one to choose.

Thanks again,

Becky

HP Recommended

I've also tried making more discs using two different programs with no luck.

HP Recommended

Hi again,

If I just order system recovery discs from hp will that fix the problem?

Thanks,

Becky

HP Recommended

Hi Becky,

If you just want to return the notebook to its 'Factory Condition' ( ie. the condition it was in when first purchased ), it may be worth trying the following.

Shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button and see if this launches the Recovery Manager application - if it does, just follow the on-screen prompts to perform a Factory Reset.  If there's data on the notebook that you want to keep, accept the option to back-up when asked.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I can press the other f command keys and get results but pressing f11 doesn't seem to have any effect on the notebook.

I'm not sure how the system recovery discs work but my end goal is to restore it to factory condition.

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk me through this.

Becky

HP Recommended

Hi Becky,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your g4 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.