Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,031 Views)

is it possible to change the video card of a pavilion g7-1075dx?

[ Edited ]

So, I have an HP Pavilion g7-1075dx Notebook with Windows 7. I'm an avid gamer and wish to play the newest games. However, there's one problem thats keeping me from doing so. Alot of the newer games require newer video/graphics cards. This particular laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250. The newest games seem to require ATI Radeon HD 4850 and above. This is the only thing thats keeping me from playing games like Starcraft II on the highest settings OR in the case of Star Wars: The Old Republic, it almost keeps me from playing the game, period, due to the graphics being too much for my current card to handle, causing massive lag. I was hoping I could change the video card. Upgrade. However, i've heard that with most laptops or notebooks you can't upgrade anything other than the RAM. I'm hoping anyone on here can help me out and tell me if it is possible to get a new video card for my laptop. We don't have a desktop computer so this laptop is my only hope for a long time to play newer PC games.

Honor Student
Message 2 of 4 (1,014 Views)

Re: is it possible to change the video card of a pavilion g7-1075dx?

Alright, let me put this in a simpler message: Does anyone know if it is possible to change the video card currently in my laptop, the HP Pavilion g7-1075dx, for a newer and better one. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 to ATI Radeon HD 4850 or higher.

Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (31 Views)

It is a shame that no one from HP responded to this request and here I am in 2016 with a bad video card needing replacing and there is no answer from HP.  I am so sorry!  I have no idea and am searching for the same thing.  

Associate Dean
Message 4 of 4 (22 Views)

jjc1

Don't know, since I wasn't here then, but my guess as to why no-one responded to the original question, is the same as the response to yours -- for all practical purposes, NO.

You see, laptops do not use video "cards"; instead, they use video chips that are soldered onto the system boards of the laptops.

You can not replace the video chip, instead, you have to replace the entire system board, and not only does that require taking or sending it to an HP Service Center, the cost of doing that (since the entire laptop has to be disassembled and reassembled) can easily exceed the cost of a new laptop.

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation