Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

For about two days now, certain keys on my keyboard have suddenly been behaving erratically, on and off. They are the 't', 'y', left ctrl and tab keys. Sometimes they do not work at all and other times they register 2-5 presses instead of 1. It has been infuriating to even type these three sentences! In fact, it is the exact problem outlined here, by another user, with the exact same keys:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/Keys-not-working/td-p/2534251

I have tried the disconnecting battery and adapter + holding power button trick, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the latest keyboard drivers. The keys do not work as expected in the command prompt either.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

Edit: My laptop is a HP pavilion g6 by the way, using Windows 7. T and Y seem to be common keys that are unreliable with HP laptops but I cannot find a solution online.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Bump. It's really quite annoying and seems to be getting worse all the time.

HP Recommended

Hello!

Have you ever spilled anything on the notebook?

Have you tried cleaning under the keys with a product such as compressed air?

What is the product number for the notebook?  This document can show you where it is located.

Have a wonderful day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

i have same issue :Crying:  any solution 

HP Recommended

Same problem here. But on Linux(Ubunu 16.04) machine.

The below keys doesn't work always.

TAB    LEFT CTRL    T     Y

I have to press them hard to make them work for some time.

Not sure if it is a hardware or software problem.

If anyone got this problem fixed, pls let me know.

Model: HP ENVY 15-k081nr

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.