Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Computer currently has 2GB RAM.

Runs Vista 32-bit

Looking upgrading RAM.

Had a couple of questions:

1. Is it a matter of adding or replacing?
  2. Is there a max?
  3. Is it a farily easy DYI porject?

Thanks,

Sid

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have attached the link to your service manual. Page 1-2 states you are already at the max with 2 GB.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035677.pdf

If you know someone who may have a 2 GB PC2 5300 chip, you can remove one of your 1 GB chips and see if it works, and reports 3 GB. If it reports 3 GB, then it would report 4 more than likely.

The chipset supports up to 4 GB of memory, but the BIOS may not allow it, and there are no BIOS release notes that add support for 4 GB of memory, so it would have to be an experiment on your part.

Installing memory is relatively easy. read Chapter 5 of the service manual for how to do it. Specifically chapter 5, starting on Page 5-12. Remember to remove the battery and A/C power before taking anything apart.

Paul

HP Recommended

I installed 2 2GB chips in my DV6338se. My BIOS reports 4GB but Vista only reports 3GB.  Windows 7 would utilize all 4GBs.

HP Recommended

Hi:

It wouldn't make a difference whether or not you run Vista, W7 or XP for that matter--32 or 64 bit.

The reason you are only seeing 3 GB out of 4 is due to memory reserved for hardware such as graphics.

The good news is apparently you can install 4 GB in the notebook where the specs state only 2 GB is the max.

Paul

HP Recommended

Where did you find the 2x2Gb chips please?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.