Question

Top Student
Eastern
Message 1 of 14 (26,892 Views)

Battery - 0% available (Plugged in, Not Charging)

I'm having this issue where the battery is not charging, and/or the laptop is not recognizing the battery properly.

I will just outline the problem and what I have done.

A) Received a brand new assumingly aftermarket replacement battery.

1 - It went through a charge cycle without much problem

2 - It stopped charging randomly, to which by experimentation the fix was simply restarting the computer (and removing the battery while the computer was shut down, and replacing it before restarting). It would begin to charge again after.

3 - Sometimes, on battery power, the monitor screen would simply turn illuminated black or flicker. During this time, all computer functions still worked and I was able to shut the computer down using my memory and the proper keystrokes. Starting it back up was the (temporary) cure, even without introducing AC Power.

4 - This continued regularly having to reset the computer and the battery to keep it charging. A few days later, while showing some nominal amount of charge (20%?) the computer just shut off instantaneously

With this, I assumed there must be something wrong with the battery so I contacted the people who sent it and they agreed, although I was also asking if it could be anything other than the battery, because to me it didn't feel like the problem was the battery as, once I got the battery charged fully, it worked great as far as holding the charge.

B) I received a second brand new battery from the same place

1 - All steps above repeated. This time the battery charged only to 14% before starting with the "Plugged In, Not Charging" bit and has now been at 0%, Not Charging since this time.

2 - I searched the web and found that, oh, I don't know, at least 2,500 people have had this exact problem, and while it is by far most popular in the hp dv6000 series it is not limited to this series, or even to hp. Many of them simply remove the battery and put it back in and it works. Obviously it didnt for me so I tried some other suggestions. Including shutting down removing battery and AC Power and holding down the power button a while. This actually worked briefly, once, this may have been when I got the charge up to 14% in the one battery before it quit.

3 - I ran Windows Updated, which installed 88 Updates to the computer. No Result

4 - I checked for drivers then after seeing they were up to date, uninstalled microsoft acpi-compliant control method control battery, then scanned hardware to reinstall it automatically, No Result

5 - I thought I had it when I found a BIOS update that specifically said it would solve this problem. F.29. I Installed this, and still No Result.

So now, what is the next thing to try?

Thanks

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 14 (26,880 Views)

Re: Battery - 0% available (Plugged in, Not Charging)

I gather this is not a genuine HP battery? Until you try a known good Genuine Battery it is hard to know what the problem would be. You should not have to try driver reinstalls and such. A good battery on a good system just works. Possibilites are bad battery and bad motherboard. Period.
Top Student
Eastern
Message 3 of 14 (26,871 Views)

This is the replacement battery sent by the extended warranty from the store it was purchased at. There are two of them, both "new"

Can you explain perhaps why this would happen? Honestly it doesnt sound like a battery issue at all if you search online "Plugged in, Not Charging" you will get hundreds upon hundreds of results, some people having this problem immediately out of the box with brand new HP everythings. The weird thing for me is for over a year I have not had this problem then all of a sudden it starts after a system wipe and a new battery

Top Student
Eastern
Message 4 of 14 (26,835 Views)

It randomly has jumped up to 9% on one battery today, but its simply showing 9% available (plugged in, Not Charging) now, so no real progress made.

I know hundreds of people have experienced this problem it would be nice to know if they were unable to self fix the problem and if so what needed to be done?

Honor Student
tylerboddy
Message 5 of 14 (25,452 Views)

seriously? Been searching and tring everything. Does anyone have a solution yet??? Motherboard seems to be the next option, has anyone tried this???

Tutor
Andeafdod
Message 6 of 14 (25,142 Views)

I've tried just about everything I can find to solve this problem (Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery uninstall, hard power off without battery and turn on with battery, etc), the HP Assistant says my battery is good, but it won't charge and is at 0%.  Can anyone help here?

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 14 (25,119 Views)

Has anyone tried a new power cord?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Andeafdod
Message 8 of 14 (25,082 Views)

Yes, I have a brand new one.

Tutor
Andeafdod
Message 9 of 14 (24,819 Views)

I've just bought a second brand-new smart charger from HP and a new battery.  Neither fixed the problem, even after uninstalling the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and reinstalling it.  Does no one have any ideas other than buying another laptop from a different company? 

Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 14 (24,799 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you checked your drivers/updates page at HP to see if there is a BIOS update to address the problem? Use the button at top of this page_'Support & Drivers'.

You will need full model number or P/N from the Service Tag on bottom as input to find correct page.  Locating Model Number

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation