Question

Honor Student
mtnmojo
Message 1 of 187 (259,748 Views)

Blinking caps and num lock lights

Opened up the lid on sleeping laptop and had nothing but a blank screen and blinking caps and num lock lights. I finally got vista restarted after turning it off and on a couple of times. Everything seems to be working, however the caps and num lock lights are still blinking every 2 seconds. Any thoughts on what is causing this?
JRG
HP Pavilion Dv4
Top Student
roarshock
Message 2 of 187 (259,624 Views)

Re: Blinking caps and num lock lights

I have the dv7, and for some reason today this started happening to me after I woke it up from sleeping... does anyone have a fix for this?

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 3 of 187 (259,620 Views)

Hello,

The blinking caps and numlock are a diagnostic feature of the Dv7 Notebook ( and others ). Depending on the combination it can be a number of different symptoms. They can be as minor as the battery having an insuficient charge or as serious as a CPU failure. I would recommend updating the ROM BIOS on your unit to ensure you have the latest fixes.- Make sure you have the latest one for your model - Here is a link to a document on the Blink Codes.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
mtnmojo
Message 4 of 187 (259,433 Views)

Thanks for the info. I have only had the issue come up just the one time and the PC has been working just fine since then. I will keep the blinking light info handy for future reference.
JRG
HP Pavilion Dv4
Tutor
silverstein004
Message 5 of 187 (259,431 Views)

Even if you already tried "Fn + num"?

(sorry for the suggestion if its offensive, you never know. Some other users doesnt know the function of Fn)

Sig: A user told the computer: "Cant you do anything right?!!"

The computer wants to say to the user: 101010101010 (meaning: "cant you do anything right?")
Honor Student
BernsBelgium
Message 6 of 187 (259,337 Views)

Well, The issue with the num-lock not starting, seemed to be an hardware error.

The HP DV7 1030eb has been returned to the vendor. I received coupons and as there was no decent HP "desktop alternative" machine in the shop and I needed the functionality, I'm now the proud owner of a Sony Vaio.

The Sony does not have the finger print reader nor lightscribe, though compensates with a bigger screen and a drive that can play blu-ray... and a num lock that works

Tutor
silverstein004
Message 7 of 187 (259,308 Views)

For future reference of what blink codes mean:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

here, you can see the meaning of the blink codes.

Sig: A user told the computer: "Cant you do anything right?!!"

The computer wants to say to the user: 101010101010 (meaning: "cant you do anything right?")
Honor Student
slverej20
Message 8 of 187 (257,363 Views)

This just happened to my computer. It would turn on (Fans, leds) but no screen. I turned my computer off and on several times untill I had to physically pull the battery out and put it back in for it to start.   My question now is, How can I get the computer to start blinking code again so I can figure out what is wrong?

Thank you

Student
nenepha
Message 9 of 187 (250,734 Views)

Having same problem.

Student
sasubesc
Message 10 of 187 (64,299 Views)

my husband removed all the removable parts on the back and removed the memory cards.  Then replaced everything and turned it on and it worked again.   My problem was the 4 blinks kind (graphics card).  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation