Question

Honor Student
LSmiler
Message 1 of 12 (42,117 Views)

CD/ DVD Drive is not reading any discs! - HP Pavillion DV6747TX

Hi there, I have a problem. My CD/ DVD Drive is not reading any discs! I have no idea what's happened..it was going fine and then all of the sudden it stopped working.

The computer I have is a HP Pavillion DV6700 or DV6747TX to be exact and the CD/DVD-Rom drive is a TSSTcgrp CDDVDW TS%L632N ATA Device. It seems to be present in the Device Manager and in the Computer Menu. When I put a CD or DVD into the disc drive lights are blinking and it sounds like it's trying to load or do something, but nothing is coming up. CD Drive E still says CD Drive E instead of reading the disc that's in there and when I click on Drive E it says Windows cannot read the disc in drive E.

I have tried searching the net for answers including the suggestions on this website and have tried a few other ideas I have come across but nothing seems to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smileyhappy: 

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 12 (42,093 Views)

Re: CD/ DVD Drive is not reading any discs! - HP Pavillion DV6747TX

This is usually  a known software conflict and happens across the board will all computer manufacturers due to a issue with multiple media burning/ripping applications being installed on your system.

You can either run this file, go online to Microsoft's site for a fix, or manually fix it by following the instructions below:

Manually delete the registry entries

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Note Before you use this method, uninstall all CD or DVD writing or recording programs. Deleting the corrupted registry entries might cause problems with any other CD or DVD writing or recording programs that are installed on your computer. Uninstalling these programs before you start will help you avoid any problems that removing the registry entries might cause. You can reinstall these programs after the problem is resolved.

This method provides step-by-step instructions for how to use Registry Editor to delete the following corrupted Registry entries:

• UpperFilters
  • LowerFilters

Step 1: Start Registry EditorStart Registry Editor
Start Registry Editor...type "regedit" into the run box on the start menu.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
  3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
  4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
  5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
    • If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
    • If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
  4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer

Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

Honor Student
LSmiler
Message 3 of 12 (42,074 Views)

Hi there, many thanks for your suggestions. I tried the Microsoft fixit solution and unfortunately it did not work :smileysad: I'll give the others a try and let you know how I get on.

Student
gtopham1936
Message 4 of 12 (42,043 Views)

I have a Multimedia Optical Drive.  I can play music on it.  It is my e drive but my computer does not recognize it when I display "Computer".  How do I get my computer to recognize it had a CD/DVD device?  Gordon

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 12 (42,036 Views)

Read this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
Sherni
Message 6 of 12 (39,599 Views)

I followed your steps but have no upper or lower filters to delete.  My problem is still not solved though.  Also FixIt doesn't complete reading the drive (it takes ages) so I had to cancel the diagnosis.

Top Student
mtate32
Message 7 of 12 (39,188 Views)

Re: CD/ DVD Drive is not reading any discs! - HP Pavilion DV6747TX

My problem is a bit different! On boot up my dv6700 will seek the drive but will not boot of recovery disc then tries to go back to HD boot, however my old HD was damaged so HP suggested I replace my HD with a new one. So now I have nothing and my system cant be restored.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have tried everything at this point but with no success.

Student
Sippy_Cup
Message 8 of 12 (36,627 Views)

Re: CD/ DVD Drive is not reading any discs! - HP Pavilion DV6747TX

Hey listen I just went through this same problem, what I just did yesterday worked and it was pretty simple, you will need to use a working laptop or desktop,  find a friend with one.

what I did was make a bootable usb 4gb (go to youtube super easy steps)

took an iso of the "OS" and used magicISO to extract the files of the iso and put ithe files on the bootable usb.

take the usb and plug it into your pc as it boots get into the bios and change the boot order to usb first .

it worked perfect for me I hope this helps.

Student
nicholasstanley
Message 9 of 12 (33,160 Views)

I have an HP Pavilion.  The E drive for CD and DVD suddenly quit working.  When I find it on the computer drive list and click on it with a dvd in place, it says to "insert disk"   But when I insert any disk, CD or DVD, it repeats the same commands.

Honor Student
jakex768
Message 10 of 12 (11,656 Views)

[ Edited ]

Before anyone wasting their time and following steps of fixing the registry, first thing to check is to make sure it has nothing to do with your OS' registry and file systems. Simply pop in any CD disk into your faulty optical drive, reboot PC and get inside the CMOS to make it 'first boot device: CD-ROM', just like what one would do to get Windows XP installed from a CD. If it failed to read the CD during PC start up (failed to show 'press any key to read from CD drive'), then that mean either the optical drive, motherboard or RAM has been damaged. Best advice is not to burn any CD disks with a CD/DVD writer, sometimes a failed to burnt CD could cause damage to the PC when the burnt failed CD disk is keep spinning in the optical drive for too long, but it can also be those blank CD disks are being too poor quality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation