Question

Honor Student
AndreasI
Message 1 of 2 (937 Views)

EliteBook 8740w USB 3.0 poor performance

[ Edited ]

Hi

I've attached a crucial m4 256GB SSD within a SilverStone RVS02 external enclosure (supports SATA 6Gb) to the USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Port of my EliteBook 8740w.

Well this is working, but the speed performance is poor. When running a benchmark I achieve only a average transfer of 100 MB/s. When I'm running the benchmark with the same external enclosure on my desktop connected via USB 3.0, I achieve an average transfer of 300 MB/s.

I'm using my external SSD to run virtual machines on it and it is unfortunately bad that my EliteBook does not reach the transfer performance it should. This slows down my daily work.

I've already upgraded the firmware (to 3028) of the internal NEC (Renesas) controller (PD720200) and installed the latest drivers (2.1.32.0), but this did not help to achieve the performance the USB 3.0 should be capable of!

Does someone have the same problem and / or can provide me any help so that my USB 3.0 port delivers the performances it should?

Thanks & Regards

Andreas

Student
mich777
Message 2 of 2 (463 Views)

Re: EliteBook 8740w USB 3.0 poor performance

Hi, 

I have the same problem,  USB 3.0 ports in HP 8740w  operate at the same speed as USB 2.0  ? Anyone solved this problem ? Maybe HP I used a different drivers - NEC, Renesas from official HP support page ?

My system : Windows Profesional 64 bit ( HP original disk )

Any ideas ?

THX

Michał

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation