Question

Student
Aquitaine
Message 1 of 6 (7,738 Views)

Envy 15 Keyboard keys don't work

Hi there,

Sending my brand new ENVY back for service (on its first day...boo) but baffled as to what might cause this.

Everything works fine on the system except for a handful of keyboard keys:

Space
Enter
Backspace
Up/down arrows (left and right are fine)
Possibly alt (tough to test without the others)

Space bar will send a combination of characters, like zzc^X^Z if you press it a few times (often one press will send all of those characters, while other presses send nothing).

Is this just some electronics gone haywire, or is there another explanation for why this might happen?

I'm going to ask HP to extend my warranty for a year in exchange for not simply returning it - as my first HP purchase it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 6 (7,732 Views)

Re: Envy 15 Keyboard keys don't work

Aquitaine wrote:

Hi there,

Sending my brand new ENVY back for service (on its first day...boo) but baffled as to what might cause this.

Everything works fine on the system except for a handful of keyboard keys:

Space
Enter
Backspace
Up/down arrows (left and right are fine)
Possibly alt (tough to test without the others)

Space bar will send a combination of characters, like zzc^X^Z if you press it a few times (often one press will send all of those characters, while other presses send nothing).

Is this just some electronics gone haywire, or is there another explanation for why this might happen?

I'm going to ask HP to extend my warranty for a year in exchange for not simply returning it - as my first HP purchase it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Asking for a free warranty?  That's not something they hand out easily...  As for it not working, sometimes it happens...  Did you try a hard reset?

To Perform A Hard Reset

• Shut down the computer by going to the Start menu and selecting shut down. (If you have no display, hold the power button down for  5 seconds)
  • Disconnect the AC Adapter from the notebook.
  • Remove the battery from the bottom of the notebook.  There will be a switch/button to eject the battery.
  • Wait at least 1 minute with all power sources disconnected.
  • Re-insert the battery and reconnect the AC Adapter and then attempt to power on the notebook.

Tutor
russell_anam
Message 3 of 6 (7,482 Views)

I just received my Envy 15T yesterday and I have the same problem! For me the keys are U,I,H,J,N and M. Pressing them once does not achieven anything. But fi you press them several times it spits out random characters like "qrty"!!! Anyway to solve this without sending it back to HP?

This guy also has the same issue:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-compaq-voodoo-pc/462437-envy-15-gen-2-keyboard-problem.html#post5...

Student
whistlerjc
Message 4 of 6 (7,158 Views)

what the heck I am having the exact same problem right down to the same keys!

Student
jinxat
Message 5 of 6 (6,964 Views)

windows updater downloaded a bunch of crap and made your keyboards stop working.  I noticed my keyboard was sorta laggy, and then wouldn't work unless i was mashing the key 50 times. so i system restored and it fixed the problem.  I am not sure exactly which update made the keyboard stop working, but I am so glad I fixed it.  I thought I had wasted 900$ lol

WLN Honor Student
Honor Student
WLN
Message 6 of 6 (5,838 Views)

Different HP laptop.  Similar problem.  Couldn't even log in on three different profiles.  Noticed that password entries had too many characters - some keys were spitting out multiple characters.   Brainstormed a workaround and used an external keyboard plugged into a USB port.  It worked!  Once logged in, I did some searching for a driver update or something and stumbled over the post on doing a "hard reset".   Should have remembered this trick as I had to do it often with an old Dell.  Thanks for reminding me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation