HP ENVY 15 Series Blank Screen (21940 Views)
Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 1 of 23 (21,940 Views)

HP ENVY 15 Series Blank Screen

[ Edited ]

HP has resolved the matter where some HP ENVY 15 - 1000/1100 Series models may
experience a black screen and the system stops responding.
Refer to the link below for instructions and links to the software to resolve this matter.
If you have trouble with the URL above, visit www.hp.com, select your preferred
language and perform a search on the following document number: c02284050.

HP has resolved the matter where some HP ENVY 15 - 1000/1100 Series models may experience a black screen and the system stops responding.

Refer to this document about Display Turns Black and Notebook Stops Responding for instructions and links to the software to resolve this matter.

If you have trouble with the URL above, visit www.hp.com, select your preferred language and perform a search on the following document number: c02284050.

Thanks everyone!

GarenT

Top Student
Spency
Message 2 of 23 (21,662 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 15 Series Blank Screen

What about those laptops such as the dv2990nr entertainment pc laptop for which I had the very same problem? My laptop stopped working completely after and nearly burnt down my house and now HP is refusing to fix it even though I am still under warranty.

Honor Student
Binadms
Message 3 of 23 (21,176 Views)

Becareful with the new bios, when i updated using the new bios, the laptop canonly recognising 4gb ram. The two ram slots near the battery was disabled by the new bios. 

I then downgraded to the f29 ver bios, and its detecting all full 8gb ram... Is this bios corrupted or what?

Student
rsbecker
Message 4 of 23 (21,044 Views)

[ Edited ]

No resolution on this one on HP ENVY 17. I've had BSOD when the screen sleeps at 15 minutes. This is 100% reproduceable. The fix from GarenT does not resolve this issue with BIOS F13A because the ATI driver/catalyst installation software will not run - fails to get beyond the Install/Uninstall window even in compatibility mode. Current ATI BIOS is 012.019.000.15, driver version is 8.712-100302b-096821C-HP. This all started after an update from HP/Microsoft came in on September 24, 2010 - history is gone due to too many BSOD on the machine.

-- Follow-up --

The latest (8/aug/2010) CCC from ATI does not install my the HP ENVY either. The program runs but hangs after the [Install] option.

-- Follow-up (5/Oct-2010 1245 EDT) --

After 2 hours being told that I had to a) restore windows to a date that didn't exist in history; b) reinstall windows, the machine had a BSOD in the middle of a chat. The support analyst was pretty ineffective and did not listen (a.k.a. read) my comments including BIOS versions that I supplied. It's strange having to repeat yourself in an online chat. In any event, I've wasted almost a week on this problem, which according to my company, is more than the machine is worth. I'll be returning this brick as soon as I can take a full backup (assuming that's possible).

Of note is that when the machine crashed, the last time, it was extremely hot on the top left of the keyboard. The surface was painful to the touch.

Tutor
Xdell
Message 5 of 23 (20,374 Views)

Yep. I have, not one or two but three lap tops from, Yeah you guessed it, your favorite PC Manufacturer, HP.

display problems on my 2 year old dv2500 and scratches on the monitor on two newer HDX lap tops, and they are doing nothing about it after 2 years of people complaining on this and other forums.

No worries everyone! ! ! !. I have found the solution to my problems and yours as well.

DO NOT BUY ANY HP PRODUCTS ANYMORE.

THEY HAVE LOTS OF DESIGN FLAWS AND THEIR ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT IS STILL GETTING PAID TO BUILD JUNK ! ! !

AS LONG AS YOU KEEP BUYING, THEY'LL KEEP BUILDING JUNK ! ! ! ! !

WHY???? BECAUSE THEY FIGURE WE ARE TOO DUMB TO FIGURE IT OUT ! ! ! ! !  AND IF WE KEEP BUYING,,, MAYBE WE ARE.! ! ! !

SO,, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO?????

With all due respect,,,,,XDELL.

Soon to change my log in name to,,,,,, 4DELL.

Because software issues are better than  HP JUNK ! ! !

Honor Student
warmongering
Message 6 of 23 (19,830 Views)

I did this update in august.

The black screen just started returning today.

Honor Student
warmongering
Message 7 of 23 (19,499 Views)

updated to October bios

NOT FIXED.

Student
sospan
Message 8 of 23 (19,266 Views)

I seem to have all the symptoms echoed on these forums. My Envy 15 cost nearly £1,000. It is now on its fourth visit back to HP inside of 8 months. This time one of the cores has failed and the machine is continually blue screening on boot - again probably caused by the heat inside the device.

Isn't it time for HP to order a recall on all these machines and offer a replacement ?

Intern
Young032
Message 9 of 23 (19,150 Views)

HP

I think the problem is in all the Pavilion notebooks! I think it has something to do with the video card.

Top Student
DrkBluePenguin
Message 10 of 23 (18,489 Views)

I've had this issue since I got my dv7 in december. 25% when i start up all i get is the caps lock light blinking. Then when it does start the cpu gets up to 95c. Sent it in and they basicly repleaced everything but the LCD panel. Doesn't overheat anymore but still get the black screen every so often.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation